rny diet????

(deactivated member)
on 9/28/07 1:45 pm
My rd's diet isn't a diet.  It is a philosophy.  Low fat and low sugar.  Eat protein first. chew chew chew.  drink 64 oz fluid.  Eat 60 gms of protein.  Don't eat too fast.  Don't graze.  Don't drink and eat.  Take your vitamins.  Take your calcium.  Stop eating when you feel the first sign of fullness.  Eat 1200 calories a day When I eat 1200 calories my blood sugar drops below 70 frequently...what do I do?  I follow the rules.  I have never dumped or vomited or felt full.  He gave me a 2 oz pouch and bypassed only 100 cm. I am only able to get by with 1650 calories or I am starving or shaking.  I really am not having head hunger.  I talked to my surgeon and he said there are lots of diets on line.  They are vague like her philosophy.  All the patients are told the same thing.  I swim lengths 30 minutes a day and some refuse to exercise.  Most patients on this web site seem to get to goal weight without actually dieting, they just follow the rules.  I can gain weight very easily without eating junk food.  I have accepted that I will only get to overweight BMI because I don't know what else to do.  Is there anything else I can do?  thanks, Linda
Mary G.
on 9/28/07 11:52 pm - Deming, WA
Each person has specific needs based on their own new "plumbing".  The "philosophy" your RD encourages is similar to what I have heard over the last year.  My surgeon and RD suggested 85-125grams of protein based on my activity level (full time moderately active work, exercise routine daily, active young family and dogs...).This was after I was fully recovered.   I had lap RNY 14 months ago and have lost 175# to date...no complications, great labs.  I don't usually count calories unless I think I'm not getting in enough of something.  I started out with 60 grams of protein and 900 kCal until about the 6 month mark.  As my activity level increased I needed to increase the protein ( I added almonds, sunflower kernels, wasabi peas...) I imagine I frequently eat closer to 1650 kcal daily, but pay close attention to how my body is feeling...it all seems to balance out.  I have noticed that the more carbs I eat, the more carbs I want...so lower carb, lower fat, lower calorie + protein, water  & supplements seems like the mantra for many of us!    It's hard to determine what your body's response will be to various "diets", even though we've been surgically modified, our metabolisms are quite different.   I believe this to be something that I will always need to follow.  Other systems can effect your overall wellness as well, make sure your labs are in check.    ."I have accepted that I will only get to overweight BMI because I don't know what else to do."  You absolutely know what to do...Stay focused on your own goals, your own body and enjoy the journey!! This is your time to decide how you would like this journey to be, and asking these kinds of questions is a great way to make sure this is the time for you to be successful.  You can reach your personal goals and will... Cheers,  Mary 

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever".

Gandhi
DanielleH_RD
on 9/29/07 1:12 am - CA
It is common to offer a "philosophy" instead of a diet to patients. I have handed out hundreds of diets over the years - do you have any idea how many have been followed?  I remember ONE (1) patient who came back to me and discussed the diet and its specifics - the rest "well, I'm trying to follow it but..." If I give you guidelines to follow, then you can modify your daily activities and find the best way to make it work for you, with your specific food preferences and timing of meals.   After all, you are the starring role in your weight loss. I would ask - you know your blood sugar goes low, so you must be testing it.  If you have lost weight, you may need to adjust your meds.  Talk to your doctor.  If your blood sugar is going low, this could be a potentially dangerous situation.  I encourage you to check it out.  You may also need to adjust the timing or type of carbs you are taking in.  A Certified Diabetes Educator can help you with this.  If you don't already use a Diabetes center for control of your diabetes, you may want to look one up.  Bring your blood sugar monitoring book, your diet & exercise diary, and med schedule and have them take a look at it.  You may be able to get better blood glucose control by adjusting your meds and keeping your calories at goal for weight loss. Good luck!
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

Most Active