fat intake goes up as carb intake goes down

(deactivated member)
on 9/30/07 3:16 am - San Antonio, TX
I am about 8 weeks out from lap RNY and I started tracking my food intake with calorieking.com during the pre-op diet phase.  I had a lot of problems eating or drinking much of anything at first, but in the past two weeks I've improved greatly and reach my protein goals most of the time.  My question is that I've noticed with the weekly summaries, etc. that my %calorie intake from fat is always higher than they recommend.  I use Atkins advantage shakes, which are higher in fat that some of the other choices, and I also eat quite a bit of avocado - I think that accounts for a lot of the fat numbers.  I also add 1tsp of flax seeds to some meal each day - for constipation mostly.   I drink skim milk or soy milk, but eat regular fat cheese.  I've also been eating a serving of pecans or walnuts most days, which ups the fat as well.  This early out should I be concerned about too much fat intake?  Here is my calorieking summary for the past two weeks: daily averages: food calories 988 fat 53 g (sat fat 15g) carbs 73g (sugar 31g) protein 62g fiber 17g (plus a fiber tablet - 2g) That puts fat as 48% of my calorie intake, where they recommend 20-30% I can cut some fat by switching to low-fat cheese and eating less avocado (for a while it was one of few things I could stand) and fewer nuts.  I would also not mind dropping a shake or making my own, so cutting the fat isn't going to be hard but I am mostly just wondering if I need to worry about it right now. 
carlaplank
on 9/30/07 11:50 pm - Albany, NY

I really LOVE the Syntrax Nectar Shakes ( I am a cappucino lover)  I use Soy Slender Chocolate Milk and my shake is:  Calories             160                                           Protein gms        30                                           Carb gms              5                                            Fat gms                 3 I do that 2x a day. Also, Cheese is one of my favorites, but I had to stop trying to use it as a protein source the Cal are just too high.  So I now think of it as a condiment.  Nuts are nice too but I would rather eat a little dense protein for a snack such as purdue turkey cuts (moist and ready to go) are 90 cal per serving with 20 gms of protein 0 carbs o fat.  You are not far out though so I don't know where you stand in your ability to tolerate.  You need to do what you can. Good luck, Carla

(deactivated member)
on 10/1/07 1:06 am - San Antonio, TX
Thanks for the info Carla!  I haven't tried that particular protein, I need to find samples because I haven't had much luck with any protein supplements I've tried.  I don't know how many samples I've gone through.  Blech! The RTD drinks I use are BARELY tolerable and most of the time I can't finish them, which is a waste of money.   All the best,  Jenn
DanielleH_RD
on 10/1/07 1:10 pm - CA
I think for the long term it is in your best interest to cut the fat.  The recommended calories from fat should be 30%.  At this point, your calories are still very low - so it may not be your first concern.  You may try increasing your protein a little more, increase your fiber a little. In time, you will think more about the specifics of what you're eating.  (especially when you reach your first big plateau)  I think it's a good idea to get off on the right track and aim to get your fat calories below 30%. regards,
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

Most Active