EGGS - friend or foe?

wendy_fou
on 9/30/07 11:58 am - AR
I am confused. I had my RNY 08/20/07 and have been doing well. MY surgeon's online guideline on how to eat says that everything I eat should be no more than 30% fat.  They state that they way you calculate this = 100 x (fat grams in serving x 9) / calories Using this formula, eggs should be avoided.  However, eggs are literally ALL OVER their recommended diet progression plan.  (I am assuming because of how many various vitamins & minerals are in them.) I love eggs and have tolerated them well in the last couple of weeks.   I quess I am just asking whether or not eggs really are good to eat on a daily basis. 
(deactivated member)
on 10/1/07 12:34 am - Cleveland Heights, OH
Eggs are definitely your friend, unless you have serious cholesterol issues.  They are a complete protein and relatively easy for many WLS folks to digest.   In terms of not meeting your surgeon's guidelines for avoiding foods that are more than 30% fat, you may want to think in slightly broader terms.  Rather than analyzing each food individually, analyze it in the context of the meal it is part of, or in the context of your full day's meal plan.  I think you'll find that as long as you compensate by eating other low-fat foods, that having eggs regularly should not be a problem.  I would not, by the way, suggest using this line of thinking as a way to justify other high-fat foods!  I am not, by the way, a dietician, but thought I could respond to this question.  Perhaps one of the dieticians can provide a more thorough, analytical response.   Good luck on your continuing journey -  Kellie
MelaniaB_RD
on 10/1/07 6:54 am - Costa Mesa, CA
Wendy, As a general rule for fat intake, the American Heart Assn, National Cancer Instutute, and nearly all credible health organizations recommend a fat intake of less than or equal to 30% of your TOTAL calories on a daily basis.  Obviously in a day, you may eat one food that is 40% fat and one that is 10% but on average you should shoot for the 
Melania Behrens, MA, RD
President, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!
Fran W.
on 10/1/07 8:28 am, edited 10/1/07 8:28 am - Catonsville, MD

Do egg substitutes supply the same protein that a 'real' egg supplies?

Most Active