Why can't I be happy?

thenewTamara
on 10/1/07 1:44 am
I am not happy with my weight lose so far.  Am I crazy?  I really thought I would see the scales move daily and it is not happening.  I know I should not weigh daily.... I am eatting around 800 calories a daily and exercise for 30 mins. I drink my protein twice a day(for breakfast & before bed), I get in about 70 grams of protein a day and also drinking about 64 oz of water. I have lost alot of weight before (without surgery) but was not able to keep it off.  If weight lose is slow on 800 calories how will I ever maintain. Thanks for any help! Tamara
cherub13
on 10/1/07 10:00 am - Irving, TX
I can only think that perhaps drinking your protein before going to bed is not a good idea.  Those calories will stay with you as you will not be burning them off.  Is there any way that you can drink it earlier?  One nutritionist said that we should not consume anything (except clear liquids to get our water in) after say, 7:30 p.m.  Maybe 35 g is just too much before bed.  It's a suggestion.  And you're right - you should not weigh yourself every day.  Throw your scales out!  I only weigh once a week and I make a special trip to my PCP office to do so.  That way, I'm not down on myself if I gain a pound or don't lose anything from one day to the next.  Also, you may have hit a stall.  How far out are you?  Some people hit a stall about 3 to 4 weeks post op.  If this is where you are, just hang in there and you will start to lose again.  Also, maybe your weight loss is just slowing down.  If you are a "light weight," your weight loss will not seem to be as fast as someone with a lot more weight to lose.  Don't give up!  It seems like forever, sometimes, to get out of a stall but eventually you will.  Weighing yourself once a week may make you feel better since you will see a lot of pounds gone which you wouldn't notice if you weigh yourself on a daily basis.  Did you lose a lot of weight right after surgery? Maybe what you are losing now is just less in comparison.  I was expecting to watch the weight just "fall  off" me, too.  But it's not like that.  The surgery is not the complete answer, it is only a tool.  You must learn to change your eating habits.  Good luck.
trafficdonna
on 10/2/07 4:34 am
Let me get this right.  Your surgery was in August, you have lost 42 pounds and you're complaining?  When have you ever lost 42 pounds in 8 weeks before? You are being unrealistic with your expectations.  Personally, I have lost 75 pounds in 5-1/2 months and I think I am doing just fine.  Sometimes the scales don't move for 2 weeks or so and then I will lost 4 pounds in one week.  I weigh once a week but I don't worry if it has not moved. I don't do any exercise except for water arobics twice a week.  I eat 500-600 calories a day and have to force that.  Most of the time I don't really want to eat at all but know I need to.  I try for 60 grams of protein a day and don't do supplements (can't afford them).   You are doing VERY WELL if you are getting in 70 grams of protein a day.  Just keep doing what you are doing.  You might want to cut back on calories but then I am not a nutritionist so follow what they say, not me.  I don't think I will ever get back to 800 calories a day---still get sick from what I do eat.
This too will pass, like a kidney stone but it will pass!
sarard
on 10/2/07 5:27 am - Costa Mesa, CA
Let me clear something up for you: ONE pound of fat is 3500 calories. So, for you to lose one pound, you need to burn off 3500 extra calories. I'd be surprised if this happened in one day. Usually right after surgery, you lose a lot of water - making your weight loss very rapid in the beginning. Once the extra water is off, then your weight loss will slow down - ONLY on the scale! You're probably still losign the same amount of fat, just not losing the water anymore. HEALTHY weight loss is 2 lbs per week. If you are losing an average of 2 lbs per week, then you are right on track. WLS is not magic. It still takes work to get the weight off. Be patient. Keep up with your protein. Be sure to keep up the exercise as well. If you are losing less than 2 lbs per week, you may want to increase the intesity of your work out or increase the amount of time. Sometimes, adding 2-300 calories will also help with weight loss (believe it or not). Good luck
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
Most Active