I know we shouldn't compare weight loss, but....

(deactivated member)
on 10/1/07 3:09 pm - Las Vegas, NV
Today at my 1 wk post op visit I ran into the other ladies who had surgery the same day (all have lost more weight than I have since surgery - 3.5 lbs).  I know it's early to be disappointed and that I must realize that our bodies all work differently etc. etc.   I just want to be sure I'm on the right track from the start.  My Doc does not have a Nut and the direction is pretty general - three 4oz meals w/no snacks; protein first (60 grms); 64oz water; vitamins - all of which I am doing.  He said don't worry about counting calories etc., BUT, since I'm a "lighweight" maybe I need to try a bit harder.  I'm having 500 calories now, but I had already cut to 1000 to lose weight pre-op, so there wasn't as much of a change in calories.  I'm doing a bit of walking on the treadmill and will step up my physical activity once my body is ready.  Anyway, I'm rambling, I just want to know if there is a recommendation on how many calories, fats, carbs a new post op should be having. Thanks, Chickita
EGSuzie
on 10/1/07 5:40 pm - Elk Grove, CA

Well, let me start by saying that I am neither a doctor nor a nutritionist...but, that said, I do have some experience. My post-op guidelines were to get in at least 70 grams of protein a day...that's almost impossible to do early out so just do the best you can to work up to your 60 grams. In addition, 64 ounces of water per day, and loads of vitamins...you should take whatever you were prescribed by your surgeon. My calorie guidelines were to be at around 800 or so a day...again almost impossible to do early out. Then, at 5 or 6 months I raised the calorie limits to 1000. Now, at 8 months I average about 1100 per day, 80-90 grams of protein each day. Fats and carbs? Never counted them other than what myfitnesspal.com automatically logs for me. I am very careful on most days to be mindful of not eating carb or fat-rich foods...so I tend to stay within the pre-set guidelines that are on that program. The levels are set according to percentages of each....I seldom go over my limits, but I really don't worry about them, either. With all of this...I still average between 1-2 pounds loss per week and am currently 7 pounds from goal. Give yourself some time to catch up and heal. It will pick up...just stick to protein-forward meals, get in your water and vitamins, and walk-walk-walk!! Best of luck to you... ~Suz

High Wt. 251.5/Goal 150/Current 145  39 yrs. old, 5' 6" tall, Size 1
  December 22, 2009~~ BA, Fleur de Lis Tummy Tuck, Sm. Thigh lift   
                     Dr. Francisco Sauceda, Monterrey, Mexico

Vivian Prouty
on 10/2/07 2:28 am - Fort Worth, TX
Hi Chickita, I like the other lady am just a person almost 2 yrs post op who has lost their weight.   First off....some people can actually gain weight on their first office visit to their surgeon due to all the IV fluids that they got in the hospital.  To me....any loss is a good loss.   I also lost my weight very very slow.   I was dissapointed in the amount of time that I lost mine but the main thing is that it comes off.   Whether fast or slow loosing it is the name of the game.   I had to get in 50 grams of protein and 64 oz fluids a day + my vitamins of course.   I had to do 3 meals and 2 snacks a day....now mind you the meals were not really what I call a meal now since I might only be eating a couple of bites at a time.   Just give it some time and don't get disscouraged.  It will come off.  You will hit plateau's along the way also.   Just keep your chin up and you will do great !!! Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

trafficdonna
on 10/2/07 4:25 am
Chickita, I did not lose any weight at all for almost three weeks.  I was very sick, couldn't eat and yet did not lose.  Everyone is different and you cannot compare yourself to others. Read my blog--I am 5-1/2 months out and down 75 pounds.  My major problem is getting in protein.  I still only average 500-600 calories a day and try for 60 grams of protein.  I am supposed to get 75-80 but find it impossible.  My only exercise is water arobics twice a week.   I was a "lightweight" too---needed to lose 128 pounds.  But I don't worry about it.  What I DO notice is that I have gone from size 26 pants and fit this week into size 16 (tight but they zipped).  I have gone from 3X tops to XL.  My bubble butt is gone.  My breasts fit nicely into size 36D when they used to be 44DD. I am off ten prescription medications.  In fact I am off of all medications except for phenargen for nausea which I need a couple of times a week.   So don't compare yourself to others my friend.  Proceed at your own pace, notice the improvement in health and the changes in size.  The rest will come.  I have given myself 18 months to reach my goal of 125.  Rest easy.
This too will pass, like a kidney stone but it will pass!
(deactivated member)
on 10/2/07 9:31 am - Las Vegas, NV
Ladies: Thank you so much for sharing your experience and for your words of encouragement.  I'll try to relax and follow your suggestions. Chickita
Most Active