gyn surgery post RNY

cherub13
on 10/1/07 12:20 pm - Irving, TX
I had my RNY on August 6, 2007.  I had some complications (asthma, inability to urinate) and so had to spend 4 days in hospital before I was cleared for discharge.  I have been slow in healing with adhesions.  My dr-surg has not cleared me for full exercise but ok'd me for walking.  I have not been doing so as I'm looking after my terminally ill DH and cannot leave him alone for long.  However, I have lost 50 lbs in 8 weeks.  My protein and caloric intake is low.  I get in my 64 oz (minimum) and take all the vitamins and minerals I have been instructed to (plus more).  The thing is, I am scheduled for gyn surgery (post hyst pre-cancerous cervix removal) on Nov. 2, 2007. I am hoping to have some help (for my DH and for me) post op but I doubt I will even be able to get in the few calories and g protein that I am now.  I am wondering how this will affect my health, weight loss,  I have no relatives or friends to help and my DH is too ill (he's under hospice care, ESRD and congestive heart failure) to help.  As it stands now, my gyn-surgeon wants me to lose another 20 lbs in the next 4 weeks.  Things are a bit confused here, as you can tell.  I will be pretty much helpless (I will try to get nursing help through Social Services at the hospital where I will have my op) as I will not be able to get up to fix myself a small meal or to get my liquids.  I am getting kind of worried.  Any ideas?
DanielleH_RD
on 10/1/07 1:58 pm - CA
You have a lot going on! I can't speak to the services that may be available to you. As far as diet for you What I would suggest is that you consider re-starting your liquid diet post op.  Liquid supplements take very little time to prepare, are easy to sip over time, and will give you the majority of what you need.  It may not be your first choice, but it may be a workable option to get the calories & protein that you need when you may not be able to spend much time on your own recuperation. Best wishes,
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

cherub13
on 10/2/07 4:25 am - Irving, TX
Unfortunately, I simply cannot  tolerate the smell, taste or texture of protein powder, shakes or bullets.  I used to be able to handle them pre op but not anymore.  They make me want to vomit.  But I will go back to SF Instant Breakfast (which is ok), broth, soups, etc. Thanks for your advice. -@li
Most Active