HELP! Gag factor making swallowing vitamins impossible! Sprays?

(deactivated member)
on 10/1/07 7:37 pm - Newport, PA

I have developed a serious problem!  Suddenly, I find that I now am gagging on pills, especially the large ones, such as vitamins and calcium.  I have always been able to swallow even the largest pills, no problem....but not any more!  (Am also having similar reaction to my protein vials, which, until now, I did just fine with!) If I do manage to get these things down I am on the verge of throwing up for HOURS afterward, and usually end up going to bed until the nausea passes.  I have Reglan on hand, but even it has not helped with this.  I have never had a vomitting disorder, but this is beginning to feel like the start of one.

I will look into chewables, but do wonder if the RDs can tell me if spray vitamins are OK for a post RNY patient. 

I am also looking at behaviour modification, re: my therapist, but am looking for a fast answer, for now! I am scared that I will get really ill, really fast without my supplements!

DanielleH_RD
on 10/2/07 1:05 am - CA

Spray vitamins are basically liquid vitamins with a sprayer...

Liquid vitamins are often used when swallowing pills doesn't work.  I imagine that you have plenty of vitamins on hand - have you tried crushing them?  You can crush them (use a mortar & pestle or rolling pin) and stir them into whatever you are eating (I'm thinking applesauce, SF pudding, yogurt, etc). The other thing I would want you to consider is that you may have an obstruction at your pouch openings - please talk to your doctor since this swallowing issue is a new problem and have this possibility ruled out.  You can have a "bezoar" blocking the way, and that can cause a whole herd of problems.   Do you have a hiatal hernia that could be causing the problem? Reglan is a GI stimulant, you may ask your doctor for a different anti-emetic med such as compazine or zofran. Pay attention to what you are eating when the nausea occurs.  Is there something different in your diet?  Is this occurring more with iron or other common stomach upset-ers?  What about adding a little more liquid when you swallow these items to help them go down easier?  And then for the nausea - try ginger (pickled like for sushi, or fresh sliced added to tea, or even candied or snaps) or peppermint (tea is nice).  Both of these are natural anti-nausea cures, and they are very pleasant too. good luck!

Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

trafficdonna
on 10/2/07 4:17 am
Hey girlfriend, I got chewables at Vitamin World.  Today is the first Tuesday of the month and they have buy one get one free today (first Monday and Tuesday of every month).  You might also find liquid vitamins. I get the calcium citrate capsules and empty them into my yogurt every morning.  You can do the same with B complex capsules.  Biotin has no taste and you can just chew it up. My doctor gave me liquid Phenargen for nausea.  But even if you get an Rx for the pills, the generic they supply is teeny tiny and you should be able to swallow them. Dont' worry too much about protein right now.  Just stay with liquids, soft food like yogurt, sugar-free pudding, soups (not chunky unless you blend it into pure liquid stage).   You can call me if you wish.  PM me and I will be glad to give you my phone numbers.
This too will pass, like a kidney stone but it will pass!
Most Active