will i ever wan to eat again

grannyjo
on 10/2/07 9:55 pm - warren, MI
I know most people like the no appitite thing, but i just don't want to eat.  I force myself to eat what i do, and usually have soft stuff because i dont' want to put for the effort to really eat.  i can't believe how little food matters to me now, and nothing really appeals to me except cottage cheese and yogurt.  like they say, my tastes have really changed.  i am getting my protein in, because of supplements, but would like to go out and eat and enjoy it.  i just don't enjoy food anymore.  maybe soon.  i had my surgery on june 5 2007.  hopefully soon i can enjoy a meal.

Jo
lap rny 6-5-2007
Dr. Michael Wood

DanielleH_RD
on 10/3/07 12:43 pm - CA
The apathy you are feeling towards food is common. A lot of the pleasures food used to bring aren't there any more (because that snickers makes you dump...).  You have reduced capacity, early satiety, maybe even some grumbly intestines and foamy burps.  Not as pleasant, it is a fact. Beyond the obvious, you are also changing your relationship with food.  I say relationship because the places in your life where food used to be, now has to be filled in with other things.  Don't think I'm strange, but It's not un-like the loss of a friend or a break-up with a boyfriend.  Initially you have a sense of loss.  In time you adapt, adjust and move on.  This is a time when depression is not uncommon or also an overwhelming feeling that you just "aren't right".  Don't hesitate to talk to your doctor about this on follow-up visits. Typically, these feelings will pass. You are doing the right thing just focusing on taking in the foods you can tolerate, keep your eye on meeting your daily protein and fluid goals and taking your supplements. I'm sure there are others on this board that have experienced exactly what you are describing. Best wishes,
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

MelissaF
on 10/3/07 3:39 pm - Northwood, IA
Hi there I think we all have been through this stage in the beginning.  My appetite returned some at 4.5 months out and full force at 8 months out.  I have to eat 5-6 mini meals a day to satisfy my needs, 3 meals just doesn't cut it.  I keep my calories where they should be though.  My point is as much as it doesn't seem like it, later on you fight again to not eat too much, many of us do anyway.. not everyone.  Enjoy it while you have it, just as you said.
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

Most Active