Help! Bad reaction to protein shake.

Robin B.
on 10/13/07 2:13 am

Hi. I just had lap band surgery 3 days ago and have been having trouble with protein. Taste aside, anytime I eat something with the added protein powder in it I start to feel sick to my stomach. Typically I can only handle a few bites/sips before I feel like I'll voimit. Then I always feel "funny" after I'm through. Today I tried a new recipe and  was able to drink more of the shake then usual. 2/3 of the way through it my heart beat started to race, my vision got kind of cloudy and I felt absolutely horrible. That lasted about an hour than I just had a bad headache and an upset stomach. I'm worried that I'm not going to be able to take any of these protein supplements. I've tried 4 different types of protein and they all sit badly with me. Anybody else have this kind of problem? The shake consisted of: 1 1/2 scoops EAS 100% Whey Protein (chocolate) Ice  1 tbsp low fat peanut butter 4 tbsp low fat plain yogurt Thanks for listening, any kind of advice or experience will help.  Robin

senoraburt
on 10/13/07 4:06 am - IN
I have heard of RNY patients having reactions to peanut butter.  Maybe that is what got you, too.  This is what my doctor had me drink after surgery and it tasted great! 4 cups 2% or skin milk 1 cup dried powdered milk 1 pkg choc. or vanilla sugar free instant breakfast Make the night before.  The first 6 weeks following RNY I was supposed to drink this much a day.  It provides a lot of protein.  Try making it up and drinking about 16 oz. a day.  How much protein are you supposed to have?
Robin B.
on 10/13/07 4:42 am
I'm supposed to be having 70 grams. I'm not getting anywhere close to it though. With all this gas and bloating I feel full all the time. And then I have to take my vitamins and the Prilosec the Dr. prescribed twice a day which feel like meals in themselves. I'm worried that I'm not getting enough in me.  Thanks for the recipe. How much protein was in your breakfast drink? It could have been the p.b. except that everytime I've eaten the protein stuff I get some kind of negative reaction, even before the surgery. Whether it's a head ache or a "cloudy" head or feeliing sick to my stomach. I almost feel like I'm having a diabetic reaction although there's no sugar in what I'm eating and I'm not diabetic.  I'm going to check into the breakfast drink, which brand did you use? Thanks again for your help,  Robin
senoraburt
on 10/13/07 5:18 am - IN
The sugar free instant breakfast is simply packets of Carnation Instant Breakfast (Sugar Free).  The protein breakdown is 32 grams of protein for 4 cups milk, 8 grams for the powdered milk, 5 grams for the packet of Instant Breakfast for a grand total of 45 grams of protein.  As I said I would make it the night before, keep it very cold and then sip it all day.  With my surgeon and nutritionist it counts towards total fluids, too.  I think the stuff is good and it got me through about the first 8 weeks post op before I could eat more than an ounce of yoghurt.
Robin B.
on 10/13/07 5:44 am
Thanks so much for the advice. I'm on my way out the door in a little bit to get the carnation.
DanielleH_RD
on 10/14/07 4:24 am - CA
There are a couple other things that might be causing you problems First, since your procedure was so recent, you may still be having some after effects of the anaesthesia - this can cause nausea. If you are drinking something very cold (like with ice in it) - this can sometimes cause stomach cramping and other discomfort - you may try something a little closer to room temp. to see if this is the issue. Your band restricts the amount of gas that can pass back up the esophagus (a burp...) this increased gas may be fooling your stomach into thinking it is very full.  You may want to check with your doc if this problem persists.  OTC gas reduction meds like Maalox with simethicone as an ingredient can usually help with this. If your stomach is slower to empty, higher fat can be tough (it takes longer to leave the stomach anyway) you may want to experiment with your shake without the peanut butter.  Even low fat peanut butter is a high fat food (it's just lower than regular PB). Keep in mind that your procedure is very recent - and things that may be bugging you now, probably won't in the next week or so.
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

schampange_2000
on 10/15/07 4:29 am - Lewistown, MT
This sounds horrible but it's nice to know im not the only one with this problem. Any kind of protien, wether it be powdered GNC, or pre mixed makes me absolutely sick, i either vomit or get a horrible head ace, and as you feel just wierd after dirnking it.  I find that the only way i can get my  protein is to eat normal foods, chew chew chew.  Becauze of my problem with the protein my doc put me on the soft foods three days out from surgery, that realy helped, I was on semi soldis 2nd week.  Check with your doc, maybe he/she will sugest the same.  Allitle advice!! Stay away from rice, It dosn' t matter how little I eat, It dosn't stay down. waaa I loved rice and bread, darn the price we pay to be happy :) lol, I am 5 1/2 months out and doin pritty good, down 34lbs, and I havent been able to the protein at all so I guess getting it out of reg food is ok dokey    I am sooper happy for you, it get's beter i promis!!!!
Life is like a box of chocolates, darn sweet, but can't eat lol!!!!
Most Active