Malabsorption?

(deactivated member)
on 10/14/07 12:34 pm - Las Vegas, NV
Is there is such a thing as a percent malabsorption for RNY?  I have heard DS'rs quote different figures on how much fat etc does not get absorbed.  But, I've never heard a figure for the RNY.  Does anyone have that information? Chickita
senoraburt
on 10/15/07 1:25 am - IN
I would like to know this as well. I also would like to know what else is not being absorbed. Yes, I know that B12 isn't, but are there other vitamins and nutrients that are not absorbed with the RNY?
DanielleH_RD
on 10/15/07 11:44 am - CA
Sorry not to be more specific, but the answer depends of the technique your surgeon uses.  The places where the gut is joined back together and the amount of gut that is by-passed determines the amount of malabsorption you will experience.   Almost all procedures by-pass the duodenum and proximal jejenum (first 2 sections of the small intestine) which is why the nutrients that are absorbed there are universally recommended for supplementation (iron, calcium, b vitamins - thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, folate, phosphorus, magnesium, copper, selenium, biotin, Vits A, D, E, K, etc.)  B12 is absorbed in the distal ileum but it requires stomach acid and 'intrinsic factor' to be absorbed (these are extremely limited with the new pouch). There is no % of malabsorption because you would have to be specific to each nutrient, each person is different, and each surgeon uses slightly different techniques. regards,
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

(deactivated member)
on 10/15/07 1:11 pm - Las Vegas, NV
Danielle:  WOW!  I guess that's why I haven't seen a percentage in these posts!  Thanks for your thorough reply. Chickita
Most Active