Frustrated! Cant lose

Becky517
on 10/15/07 3:54 am - TX
I am so frustrated - I am almost 4 years post op - lost from 310 to 172 - had hysterectomy last year and had gained back to 191 - went back to basics, did the 5 day pouch test, lost down to 182 in that five days, that was one month ago - since then I track every calorie  that goes into my mouth - averaged 1000-1200 per day - focusing on protein, veggies, water water water and no snacking - exercising 3 to 5 times a week - doing great - or so I thought, havent  lost an ounce in the last month!  What do I need to adjust?
DanielleH_RD
on 10/15/07 11:59 am - CA
You may need to increase your calories a little.  If your body is starving, it will hang on th the fat. (it sounds illogical, but sometimes you have to eat to lose) Keep tracking your diet and exercise, but increase your calories by 2-300 per day & see what happens.  It may take a few weeks. Also keep in mind if you started exercising (and maybe you weren't before) your body may be laying down more muscle which weighs more than fat.  If your only reference is the scale, sometimes it doesn't budge - but that doesn't mean you aren't doing good things.  Your body may start to look better naked in the mirror or your clothes may fit better - these are the other ways to evaluate your success.
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

Becky517
on 10/15/07 1:04 pm - TX
Thank you so much for responding.  My husband has been telling me to increase my calories for the last two weeks - but I didn't want to increase because the scale wouldn't budge.  I am back to exercising, and haven't in a while - and I do feel like my clothes fit looser.  What do you think the max. calories per day should be?  Thank you again!
Most Active