Energy- need response from dietician

senoraburt
on 10/16/07 1:29 am - IN
I just had an interesting discussion at lunch. I am a teacher and some of my co workers were asking me questions about what I eat and why and amounts. I mentioned that I had to have a certain amount of protein for healing and energy level. The biology teacher said that is not true that you do not get energy from protein. To make a long story short it ended up with me saying protein is important for energy levels and her saying that only fat in protein would give someone energy. I said they have learned much about nutrition especially recently and how ones body responds to carbs, proteins, etc. She basically said she would have to hear this from a dietician. Would the dieticians on here please repond.
sarard
on 10/16/07 7:49 am - Costa Mesa, CA
This is going to sound complex, but the biology teacher should understand: Carbohydrates & fats are primarily your energy sources.  The biology teacher is correct.  However, dietary protein is required to build new and maintain existing body tissue.  It can also be oxidized for ATP and is critical for the body to perform gluconeogenesis, therefore; protein is an important energy substrate in addition to tissue building and repair.  In starvation, protein can be broken down for energy.  So, technically, you can get energy from protein.  But, I think you had some miscommunication with the biology teacher.  You may feel YOUR energy levels are higher with adequate protein, but, protein is not your body's first choice for fuel (also known as energy). 
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
Most Active