biotin (hair loss)??

babygirl1017
on 10/16/07 3:00 am - Sacramento, CA
I have a Question re : the biotin for hair nail & skin .  I just had surgery 9/5/07 and Im loosing hair . I see my Dr. this week friday. But I was wondering If any one knows if Ican take these capsules they look rather big . My worry is .. Will it get stuck may sound stupid , but if you dont chew your food its bad now taking a pill I know it disolves , Im just concered please help !!  thanks  Irma
sarard
on 10/16/07 7:58 am - Costa Mesa, CA
Danielle answered a question about Biotin a few days ago -- I've cut and pasted it below (it's in bold).  You can crush your capsule and take it with applesauce or sugar free pudding.  My rule of thumb with meds is: "if it can fit through the size of a straw, it shouldn't get stuck".  If it's bigger, cru**** (as long as it's OK with your MD). Your body produces biotin. Well, the bacteria in your intestines produce it.

I know everyone loves to supplement it for hair loss, but there's no data out there to support it.  There are studies that show biotin deficiency causing hair loss, but none showing hair re-growth with biotin supplementation.  So far, malabsorption caused by WLS has not been identified as a cause of biotin deficiency and subsequent hair loss (that doesn't mean they are not related, but the data isn't there).  In one study, biotin did make fingernails 25% thicker.

That said,
Your body absorbs biotin from food, recycles it, absorbs it from your gut bacteria (in the colon).  It is a necessary nutrient, but your body has many mechanisms for absorbing it.  Pharmacological doses are 1-10 mg (1000-10,000 mcg) for 2 weeks.  Toxicity has not been reported even at doses of 200 mg. Usual intake from food is around 65 mcg.  At high doses (1 mg), urinary excretion of biotin increases 50% - which means if you have healthy kidneys you should be able to get rid of the excess and the excess will be wasted.
The bottom line:
Higher doses appear safe if your kidney function is normal.  If you take more than you need, you will create more expensive urine...
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
babygirl1017
on 10/16/07 8:55 am - Sacramento, CA
Thank you so much for the information.. I appreciate it , these are capsule so i can open them and eat it with something .  take care !  Irma
Most Active