Xpost.. All I'm eating is protein and want more balance

MistyLynn81
on 10/17/07 12:27 am - LaGrange, KY
So my surgeons have me eating off the 3 month plan which allows me loads of variety as far as fruits, veggies, starches etc.. Each meal of mine is supposed to consist of 2 oz protein, 1 oz fruit next meal 2 oz protein 1 oz starch and dinner 2 oz protein 1 oz veggie. My problem is I do good to eat 1 full oz and on occasion I get 2 oz in but if I eat protein first then that is really all I am eating and I'm still not getting my full amount of protein in (I'm still trying to find a protein shake or what not that works for me, I've tried most the whey products and they all make me sick and I'm trying some soy now, but the ones I've tried aren't working). I'm 11 weeks out and really feeling blah from not getting my fruit and veggies in and I miss them loads (i could care less bout starches) but I know I'm not getting a balanced diet. The dietician told me recently with only getting 1-2 oz of food in to try and get a couple extra meals in and eat 5-6 times a day, if I do that do you all think it should be okay to have an ounce of fruit or veggies instead of protein for one meal or what? Are there any fruits and veggies that have protein or anything??
MelaniaB_RD
on 10/17/07 5:06 am - Costa Mesa, CA
MistyLynn, Your dietitian is right in that if you are only able to eat 1-2 oz of food at a time, you will need to eat more frequently.  Some of my patients eat 5-8 small meals daily in order to get in enough protein.  Protein is the priority now and I would focus on getting this in for all of your meals in one form or another.   Your multivitamin (hopefully you are taking one per your doc) will take care of the missing vitamins & minerals found in fruits and vegetables, but it won't replace how good they taste.  Have you tried nonfat, sugar-free yogurt as a snack (these usually have a bit of fruit in them), provide protein and carbs.   Fruits contain no protein and vegetables contain ~ 2 grams per 1/2 cup serving, but your best bet for high quality protein are animal based such as meat, fish, poultry low or nonfat dairy products.  Plant sources of protein that you might like are hummus, tofu, etc.  You can also look on the left side of this forum under RNY nutrition guidelines for other ideas. Regards,
Melania Behrens, MA, RD
President, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!
Sharon Burns
on 10/30/07 4:15 am - Cheyenne, WY
The only protein drink that I tolerate well is by smartforme.com  they have bars, soups, meals, snacks etc.  I had my wls 01/06 and still drink 4-5 protein drinks a day. I could not get my protein in otherwise.  I use the premade chocalate.  They are very convenient, taste great and are only 90 calories with 15 grams of protein.  I found that too much protein at once makes me sick.  Some drinks have 22 grams of protein and more fat and calories.  The lighter drink works better for me.  Hope this helps.  Sharon
Most Active