drinking 2 much 2 fast

wendy_fou
on 10/17/07 11:45 am - AR
I am 3 days from being 2 months out. I am eating well and getting enough protein (thanks to protein slams). My major worry about this point - drinking 2 much 2 fast. I believe that I drink way too much, way too fast.  Sometimes I even forget what I'm doing and GULP!   My NUT said that if I drank too much too fast, I'd throw it up because there was nowhere for the excess fluid to go. My bariatric coordinator said that if I drank too much too fast, that that would be a "mistake you'll only make once".   Well, I guess I am weird because I know I drink too much too fast and I have never thrown up or had anything else terrible happen that I can feel anyway. My worry is that I am stretching out my pouch without feeling it.  Since I am not throwing it up, it has to be going somewhere or it is just blowing my pouch up like a water balloon. Advice please. 
lainiekatz
on 10/17/07 11:00 pm - Carriere, MS
I am 3 months out and I am right there with ya!  I can drink like a fish.  I have never thrown up or even been nauseated.  I guess we are both lucky or weird or something.
LapBand 10-2004
Revised 3-2007
Revised to RNY 7-17-2007
Beginning weight 316/Current 148/ Goal 155
Heather S.
on 10/18/07 7:20 am - Southern, NJ
Ok...haven't had surgery yet (3 weeks!) but from what I understand it's physically impossible to "stretch" your pouch by water alone.  It just goes right through you...I do think you're "lucky" to be able to drink a lot fast...that doesn't seem typical...I hope I'll get that!!  I'm getting this idea by the fact that surgeons will tell you that you can "out eat" your pouch by eating or drinking things like shakes and icecream and alcohol...things very dense in calories that will run through your system quickly w/o making you feel full. (of course that's assuming you don't dump I guess) I'm wishing I could customize my RNY:  "YES dumping on sugar and fats", "NO problems eating or drinking too fast"... That would be great!  I'm looking forward to what people who actually KNOW the answer say to you...until then, I'm hoping I have your "problem" since I drink TONS of water everyday and LOVE it! Heather

Highest
~Hospital Discharge~Current~
Goal 
   293  ~  (11/9/07) 286  ~  193 ~ 140
                   Height: 5'-6"  Age: 35

Barbara C.
on 10/19/07 1:04 am - Raleigh, NC

I'm about 4 months post op from my RNY. I found drinking difficult at first, but like you I can chug water, crystal light, etc... I can't drink quite as much, as fast as I used to, but I don't have any trouble drinking plenty of fluids.

My understanding from my nut. is that you can't stretch the pouch out permanently ... they've done studies that show it to stay the size it was made in the first place. They said that there is initial swelling that interferes with how much you can consume at first, but that eventually that goes away and you are left with the size that the pouch was made.

I'm delighted that I don't have any trouble drinking my fill of fluids.

Barbara
ObesityHelp Coach and Support Group Leader
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bcumbo_group/
High-264, Current-148, Goal-145

Most Active