Protein Needs Prior to Sugery

(deactivated member)
on 10/18/07 6:54 am - FL
I will be having PS in less than two weeks.  Can you recommend how much protein is needed?  I'm 5'4" and 138 pounds. Also, do you think there is any benefit to not taking any vitamins for the two weeks prior to surgery.  The OR tech told me to not take ANY type of vitamin.  I'm currently taking a multivitamin, B complex, calcium, and iron.
DanielleH_RD
on 10/18/07 1:33 pm - CA
Post op, I would ballpark about 75 g protein per day (1.2 g/kg) The OR tech said no vitamins? Often they are worried about interactions with the medications (anaesthesia) and especially with nutritients that have an effect on clotting. I think a better person to ask is your physician or the anaesthesiologist. Sara - do you have any insight?
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

(deactivated member)
on 10/19/07 7:35 am - FL
Thanks for your advice, Danielle.  I'm trying to clarify with the physicians office but the nurse doesn't seem to return phone calls.  This is the second week that I've tried to speak with her.
Kathy C
on 10/18/07 9:32 pm
I had PS a few months ago, and they also had me stop taking my vitamins 2 weeks pre op. I believe it has to do with blood thinning and clotting.

Good luck on youre PS!! Im thrilled with my TT!!

@----}-------

345/195/165

Anchor cut Tummy Tuck
with
muscle tightening 6/20/07

(deactivated member)
on 10/19/07 7:45 am - FL
Maybe the advice to stop taking vitamins isn't so bizarre after all.  I just thought we would need to go into surgery with excellent hydration and nutrition.  I understand Vitamin E and fish oil causes blood not to clot.  I just thought they were being lazy and didn't want to take the time to evaluate what I was on.  Thanks for your reply! Wanda
sarard
on 10/19/07 3:05 am - Costa Mesa, CA
Some vitamins can thin/clot your blood. They may want you to stop taking them for that reason. I'm not 100% sure. In my practice, we do not stop vitamins for surgery. However, you will likely not become deficient in any vitamin within 2 weeks. You are still getting vitamins from food. If they tell you to stop taking them, then, by all means, follow their instructions. Just be sure to clarify that you can resume your vitamins after surgery. On protein, I agree with Danielle. Somewhere around 75 grams. Remember, this is an estimation, it's not hard core science. If you are getting in the neighborhood of 75 grams, you're likely on the right track. Hope that helps!!
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
(deactivated member)
on 10/19/07 7:39 am - FL
Thanks Sara.  The OR tech said I could resume vitamins one week after surgery.   But since she was the one that told me to stop drinking protein shakes and that was misinformation, I'm going to verify with the nurse.
sarard
on 10/19/07 9:22 am - Costa Mesa, CA
Good idea. Be sure you are following the guidelines of your surgeon.
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
Most Active