Help--never full-really scared, PLEASE HELP ME!!

behispraise
on 10/19/07 7:41 am - LEXINGTON, KY

Please help me out. I am 8 weeks out and never feel full. Others say they take a couple of bites of food and can not eat the rest. Not me! I do make healthy choices that are high in protein, low in fat and sugar, veggies and fruits, But...I can eat a regular size meal. Why? I take my time and chew and never feel full much less stuffed. I can for example eat a skinless baked chicken breast, baked potato with ff sour cream and shreaded lf cheese, and spinach. Do I feel full? NO! I can eat a cup of light yogurt with 1/4 cup all bran for breakfast, a 3oz can of tuna with light mayo, spinich and a piece of fresh fruit for lunch. Is something wrong with me? Oh yea, when ever I drink ANYTHING-water, cl, protein, it hurts. Is that crazy or what???? I am soooo scared that someting is wrong with me. Please, please help me out.

Gerri

DanielleH_RD
on 10/20/07 7:50 am - CA
Stop it! You can't rely on your stomach to tell you it's full! The sensors in your stomach (called 'stretch receptors') that tell you when you are full have been annihilated by your surgery. It is very possible that you don't feel full - that doesn't mean your pouch isn't full. Eating large portions will stretch your pouch. You need to eat not greater than 4 oz at a time, period, end of story. Your head will tell you are still hungry.   The weight loss in RNY post op comes from  1. calorie restriction 2. malabsorption Your body will be hungry - it is being forced to dip into its reserves (fat) for energy. If you over-eat, you can eliminate the restrictive portion of your surgery.  Recognize that your body is different now than it was before the surgery.  You cannot rely on the same cues to tell you if you are hungry or full. Stop. Plan your meals according to your doctor's guidelines. Do not snack Get adequate protein and fluids good luck!
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

behispraise
on 10/20/07 9:20 am - LEXINGTON, KY
Thank you so much. I have NEVER heard this before! I had no idea that things worked as such. I will follow your advice and appreciate it very much Thanks & God bless, Gerri
Robin W.
on 10/20/07 1:28 pm - Fort Mill, SC
And don't forget to measure!  It is so easy to "guesstimate" and start stretching the amount bigger and bigger.  Also, at least from my experience, how you feel will change from time to time.  Some days you can eat chicken, some days not.  (Or something else)  My point is, your eating will change and it's not as predictable as pre-op.  Good luck! And Danielle, thanks for such a great explanation.
Hi 423, Start 396, Surgery day 356, Current 238, Goal 135

Health and beauty in a whole new way! - RWeber1.qhealthbeauty.com
Aime B.
on 10/20/07 9:08 pm - Baltimore, MD
I actually have heard of this before. I think you should contact your surgeon.

Aime
The love of my OH Family has me humbled!!!!

Most Active