Protein Quality?

Heather S.
on 10/19/07 7:44 am - Southern, NJ
Hoping someone KNOWS the answer to this one.   Ever since I tried Whey protein I've been sold on it...low in all the bad stuff high in protein...and tastes great.   As I'm approaching surgery I'm a bit concerned that my tastes might be wacky afterwards and wanted to purchase a few different brands and types of protein to have on hand in case I need it. During my hunt for samples I ran across a GNC product called "50 Gram Slam" that has 50 grams of protein in it...I haven't even really looked over the nutritional details yet but I did find this:  "Contains fast (whey) to slow (casein) absorbing proteins. Whey protein provides amino acids that move quickly through the digestive system. Casein is digested at a much slower rate thus increasing blood amino acids at a much slower and steadier rate."  It got me thinking...w/ a re-routed digestive system is it better for the protein to move quickly or slowly through?  Or is a combination the best?  What is really the most beneficial type of protein for a WLS patient? How important is the quality of protein?  If it says it has 25 grams of protein, it's my understanding that whey vs' casein vs' soy vs' whatever will all absorb and fuel us differently...so which is really the best?  Somehow I think it's whey but I want to hear from someone who actually KNOWS rather than my research on websites where they're trying to sell me their product! Hope I explained what I'm looking for... Thanks, Heather

Highest
~Hospital Discharge~Current~
Goal 
   293  ~  (11/9/07) 286  ~  193 ~ 140
                   Height: 5'-6"  Age: 35

DanielleH_RD
on 10/20/07 8:03 am - CA
Fast & slow - it's confusing. Here's the secret - whey and casein are the two main proteins in milk.  The ratio of whey to casein is often referred to when comparing baby formulas to mother's breast milk.  It is well-known that whey is absorbed a little easier.  Human breast milk has a higher amount of whey to casein (cow's milk, on the other hand has a higher amount of casein to whey).  But you weren't asking about breast milk, were you? Protein absorption that is faster and easier is better for you with your re-routed guts.  Whey is a great source of protein for you especially, in the early post-op period when your protein needs are highest and you are most likely to have a problem achieving your goal intake of protein.  Whey has a "complete" amino acid profile - so it contains all of the essential amino acids your body needs to build proteins.  Protein absorption goes like this - you take in whole proteins, your body breaks them down into smaller molecules (peptide chains) which are then absorbed.  It then travels to your liver where the peptides are broken into the constituent amino acids.  Your liver takes all of those amino acids and re-arranges them into proteins your body needs for healing, immune function, cells, etc. The fact that you are concerned about your taste changes, etc post-op tells me that you have been doing your research!  Yes, there are many things that can happen - and many things that may or may not happen to you.  The fact that you are here on OH tells me that you already know how to get information you may need post-op. Ask questions of your surgery group as well - be sure that they are there to support you in the post-op period.  It is important to know you have someone to call when you need it. Good luck!
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

Heather S.
on 10/21/07 7:35 am - Southern, NJ
Thanks Danielle!  Perfect...this is exactly the info I was looking for...plus! You're right that I've done my research!  It certainly makes me feel more at peace to know what I might experience...I'm a planner...surprises (even good ones) can throw me for a loop! Unfortunately, my surgeon is a couple hours away from my house with traffic...so I won't probably be using his group for support...I'm still deciding if I should try to do it on my own (with the help of this board and a couple friends) or if I want to pay to use a group that the surgeons around here all use. (it's about $2000 and offers a few one on one appts with a nutritionist, weigh-ins, group support etc.)  I really need to make a decision w/in the next couple of days so I can take advantage of their pre-op care...  I really want to be involved with a support group, but I've visited this one and the meetings I went to had very limited patient interaction...and what they taught I felt I could have taught!  (this is the curse of being such a dedicated researcher!)  Plus, it's not exactly CLOSE either...about 35 minutes away. (we live REALLY out in the suburbs!) ANYWAY...so glad you're here to offer your wisdom for these weird random questions I have.  It's good to hear from a dietitian rather than just someone who has an opinion. Thanks. Heather

Highest
Goal 

Aime B.
on 10/20/07 9:06 pm - Baltimore, MD
I use the 50 Grand Slam from time to time. I don't drink the entire amount at once as it is just too much. I drink about half and finish the rest of it later int he day.

Aime
The love of my OH Family has me humbled!!!!

Heather S.
on 10/21/07 7:38 am - Southern, NJ
Hi Aime! Which flavor of the 50 gram slam do you use?  I think I may buy 1 or 2 to have on hand even though I think they are pretty pricey and are mixed with cassein protein in them...just good to have a high-protein option for those days when I'm sick of whatever I usually use. Heather

Highest
Goal 

josully
on 10/27/07 4:09 pm - San Juan Capistrano, CA
Hello,  I am new to the forum but your post raises a few questions for me. I've read that we can utilize no more than 30 grams of protein at a time. If this is true then the 50 gram slam would be overkill? Also, it seems you must drink them soon after mixed as they lose potency quickly and attract bacteria. If this is true, it wouldn't be wise to save the remainder in the fridge for later. If the 50 gram slam is pre-mixed, ready to drink , does that make a difference?  I am preparing for a 3 week pre-op liquid diet and have a few more questions.  - is it best to chose the shake with the lowest carb and sugar? I noticed that Nectar brand is 0. - does fiber play a role pre-op? post op? how much should we look for? - wouldn't it be best to mix with water only , even though milk might taste better it  is adding calories & sugar? although fruit would be wonderful, why add carbs, sugar & calories pre-op?   The doc wants me to lose as much belly fat as possible pre-op, so is it best ot stick to lots of proteinonly?He suggests 5 to 6 shakes a day @ 6-700 cals/day, but gives no other guidelines on carbs, sugar & fiber. Any suggestions as I wade through the myriad of possibilities? Thanks for any  help, Jo
Most Active