Are 100 Calorie snacks healthy?

Ronnie73
on 10/28/07 9:14 am - PATERSON, NJ
Hello! Thank you for being available to answer our questions. My question is.......How healthy or bad are the 100 calorie bags that are out there? I must admit that i've been to Cosco and I bought a huge box of the 100 calorie Cheetos, Lorne Doones, Doritos and Sun Chips. I know that they only consist of 1g protein but are they a no no? Also, can you name a few foods and/or snacks full of protein besides protein bars and CHICKEN . I cook and eat chicken about 5 days out of the week. Thanks.
(deactivated member)
on 10/29/07 2:13 am - Cleveland Heights, OH
I use the 100 calorie snack packs as an occasional treat, but I do not eat them too regularly.  They don't have a lot of nutritional value, but they can satisfy a salty or sweet craving for a small number of calories.  If you can eat just one bag, it's probably okay.   Regarding other good sources of protein how about: eggs light yogurt cottage cheese cheese sticks jerky tuna or other kinds of fish chili (my pouch really tolerates Wendy's chili very well) milk light/low-fat deli meats (turkey, ham, etc.) pork w/ sauerkraut Like you, we eat a lot of chicken and sometimes I just get tired of it!  Good luck finding some new protein sources to add to your daily routine. Kellie
Iced Latte
on 10/29/07 3:47 am - Northeastern, LA
I don't have any information on whether you are pre- or post-op and whether or not you what kind of WLS you have had/are having. Generally I would say that the 100 calorie items you describe are junk food.  Now....personally I try to stay on the up and up and only eat healthy food....but I think you have to allow yourself a treat for a special occasion once in a while - that's normal living.  But as daily items to eat, these provide empty calories, so be careful. I'm 11 weeks out and I eat chicken, shrimp, anything made with ground beef, eggs, cheese, yogurt, milk, nuts....just to name a few protein sources. Good luck.

Ronnie73
on 10/29/07 10:53 am - PATERSON, NJ
THANK YOU FOR THE REPLIES. I AM POST OP, I HAD RNY GASTRIC BYPASS SURGERY (PRIOR TO YOU DAWN) JULY, 2007.  I DON'T EAT THE "JUNK FOOD" EVERYDAY BUT I DO EAT IT WHEN I CRAVE SOMETHING SALTY OR SWEET SNACKS. I EAT PLENTY OF YOGURT (LIGHT N FIT), PEANUT BUTTER, EGGS, CHEESE AND I CAN'T GET ENOUGH OF WATER. (I LOVE WATER)!!!  I WILL DEFINITELY EASE UP ON THE "J.F." BECAUSE I DON'T NEED EMPTY CALORIES!!! THANKS A BUNCH GUYS.
Iced Latte
on 10/29/07 2:01 pm - Northeastern, LA
For my sweet fix, I eat Kashi Go Lean Crunch cereal or Kozy Shack No Sugar Added Rice Pudding.  These both have protein. For salty, maybe try the Genesoy Soy Crisps (the Nacho Cheese ones are best) - they sell these at Walmart, or roasted almonds, pistachios, and cashews (unsalted) - they have a good mix of these at Target, or dry roasted edamame.  All have lots of protein.

Ronnie73
on 10/30/07 7:59 am - PATERSON, NJ

OKAY, I JUST ADDED THE KOZY SHACK S.F. RICE PUDDING TO MY GROCERY LIST. YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE I LUV........SPECIAL K PROTEIN PLUS CEREAL. IT'S DELICIOUS! IF YOU HAVEN'T TRIED IT, PLEASE DO. I'VE NEVER HAD THE GENESOY SOY CRISPS BUT I WILL ALSO TRY THEM. I ALREADY EAT THE NUTS (UNSALTED). OKAY THANKS SO MUCH!!! TAKE CARE.

missy-h
on 10/30/07 8:08 am - Seymour, IN
The Kozy Shack no added sugar rice pudding is AWESOME!!!  I have to buy 2 or 3 packs of it at a time as my local Wal-Mart is the only place that has it and it sells out as fast as they stock it. Missy

Height:  5'2"  Pre-op weight:  297.4    
Most Active