What to do about hair loss?

zetamarie
on 10/27/07 11:12 am - Delta, CO
Just wanted to ask one of the Nutsritionists about hair loss, In the past, I have been on a liquid diet (Opt-fast) and was able to lose some weight but I really lost a lot of hair.  Now I'm scheduled for WLS and I'm wondering what I might be able to do to keep from losing so much hair-- Vitamins or other products??                                                        Thanks, Z                                                     
Diona A.
on 10/27/07 1:40 pm - Miles City, MT
I'm not a nutritionist but I'll tell you my experience.  After WLS I lost a lot of hair, nothing I did could combat it - but when I upped my protein, it slowed down. Then I had a tummy tuck and pelvic hernia repair and again lost a lot of hair. I think it is the shock you put your body through with anesthesia, etc. Some people say to take Biotin, others say B12, but I think you have to concentrate on keeping your protein intake way up - like 80 to 100 grams a day which is very  hard to start off with. Just keep it in the back of your mind though. Luckily, my hair came back just fine and it is thicker now that it has been in a long time. Most people I know that have had WLS have lost a lot of hair but it has always come back. Diona
Diona Austill
Miles City, MT
sarard
on 10/28/07 2:24 am - Costa Mesa, CA
Protein, Protein, Protein. You will hear many people tell you Biotin, but in my experience, the only thing that helps with reducing hair loss (or promoting hair re-growth) is protein. Keep up with your protein, keep up with your vitamins. The good news -- your hair will grow back.
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
kittyasuka
on 10/29/07 7:21 pm - LA, CA
i took zinc you may lose hair for up to 2 years but now mine is thick again
Most Active