Not Eating Enough?

Jupiter6
on 10/28/07 8:17 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
I'm 3.5 months out, and losing pretty slowly--- and have had a lack of energy. The blood tests showed I was low in protein and iron, so I take supplemental iron and get over 83g a day of protein, but I'm still draggin' a little. I weigh 256 (down from 386- had a large pre-op loss) and exercise (walk, swim or weights) about 30 minutes a day on average. I tend to get in 750 calories or less a day-- (50% protein, 30% carbs, 20% fat-- I upped the fat recently) and many post ops have told me that number's just too low. My own nutritionist said, "Well, if you don't feel hungry, then I think you're okay-- stay there a while." Thing is, I don't think I have the sensation of "hunger" anymore at all, so if I were physically hungry, I'd probably be the last to know. ;) So here it is-- what'dya say, Nootz? Is 750 too low calorically  at 3.5 months out to maintain energy and good health?

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
6/08 -Dr. Meilahn, Temple U.  
 Upper and Lower Bleph/Lower Face Lift 
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 
     Brachioplasty/ Extended Abdominoplasty 
(plus Mons Lift and Upper Leg lift) / Hernia Repair
      6/24/09 ---Butt Lift and Lateral Thighplasty Scheduled 7/6/10
 - Dr. Ivor Kaplan VA Beach

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

sarard
on 10/29/07 2:56 am - Costa Mesa, CA
Well, here's my two cents --- I hate to disagree with your nut, but, yes, 750 is too low. And you're right, many people don't feel hungry after WLS. In my practice, when clients are post op, I find myself begging them to eat more. You can go into 'starvation mode' (discussed many, many times on this forum) here's one link: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/nutrition/a,messageboard/action,replies/board_id,5389/cat_id,4989/topic_id,3435865/ (but there are many more than this). In starvation mode, your body will hold on to every calorie it can and slow your weight loss. In addition, plateaus are not uncommon and your weight loss may pick up. However, you went through this surgery to be healthier -- and a too low calorie intake is not healty either. If your not already, try to eat 3 meals per day with an evening snack. Snacking on nuts is a good way to get in more calories and some really healthy fat & protein. You're 3 1/2 months out, I would hope your calorie intake would be closer to 1000 per day. I know it can be a struggle to eat this much. Don't add "empty calories" (foods that only contain calories and little nutrition). Try to increase your calories with whole grains, lean meats, fruit & vegetables and healthy fats. Good luck -- BTW, did you get in touch with Jackie?
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
Jupiter6
on 10/29/07 3:54 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
Thanks-- I gave the information on how to contact Jackie to my boyfriend-- it's really his struggle, so it's on his timetable, unfortunately. I appreciate everything you've done tremendously. I think I will slowly up my intake. I do eat three meals and a protein shake every day, but the meals are very light and with very little fat-- I think I can afford to up it a tad, soon.  My nutritionist drives me crazy-- I gather that she thinks I am a control freak, and doesn't understand that I really just like to have guidelines and rules: it helps me to know I am safe. Twenty five years of morbid obesity has left me unable to trust my instincts-- they've lead me into trouble. She likes to say, "You're fine!" regarding, well, everything-- so I never know where I *really* stand. But 750 calories just doesn't seem like enough for a 253 pound woman to live on-- especially one who is fairly active, as I am becoming. Thanks!

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
6/08 -Dr. Meilahn, Temple U.  
 Upper and Lower Bleph/Lower Face Lift 
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 
     Brachioplasty/ Extended Abdominoplasty 
(plus Mons Lift and Upper Leg lift) / Hernia Repair
      6/24/09 ---Butt Lift and Lateral Thighplasty Scheduled 7/6/10
 - Dr. Ivor Kaplan VA Beach

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

Most Active