Drinking water during meals

Rudie2
on 10/28/07 11:48 am - South Sound, WA
I am 9 months out from surgery and am 3 lbs from goal. Could someone review for me why we (RNY) should not drink with meals? Cannot find definitive answer in my literature.
Also - I get throw-up sick about once or twice a week - protein doesn't sit well and sometimes I eat too fast. Anyone else with this problem?
Thanks for answering.
Rudie2
(deactivated member)
on 10/28/07 12:02 pm - MN
I am VERY interested in the answer to this question.  I know drinking with meals is a COMPLETE no-no... not even a tiny sip.   My surgeon and his staff made that VERY clear... however, I get so thirsty and miserable not drinking during a meal (especially since many protein sources are salty)... and so I am drinking with my meals occasionally a sip or two. I was told it's because it rinses the food out faster so you don't get full and then you eat too much.  Well, no matter if I drink or don't drink, I still am only eating 3 ounces of food for a meal... I'm measuring it and not eating more.  so really, is there harm in a couple sips of water??? THANKS!
Amanda P.
on 10/29/07 1:22 pm - Terre Haute, IN
Hi,  I was told that the fluids with your meal would fill you up too quickly, and make you overly full. i was given the funnel example. I eat solids, and they have to wait to get thru that lil passageway, BUT if you add water, it will be even fuller and might even stretch out the stomach. I have had the same thing when i'm just thirsty during/after eating. if i drink, i get full much faster and am not able to finish my food. (and i feel miserable!!!!) maybe everybody is different. good luck! Amanda

Height: 5'7"
Pre-0p/Current/Goal
307.5/143/155

www.myspace.com/madhatter731
www.liasophia.com/amandaperillo

NL
on 11/4/07 11:51 am - IL
Well girls I am 3 years post op and the real reason you should not drink liquids with your meals is because it will stretch your little new stomach.  Plus once you start drinking water all that food will leave your pouch and you may start to feel hunger again and want to eat more food. Sabotoging your weight loss. If you feel like something is stuck in there taking a few sips might make it go down easier but don't make a habit of drinking with meals. You will eat more at the meal and possible start to gain weight back. I still throw up sometimes. I make myself if something is stuck or if I ate too much and feel horrible. It is really no big deal.
Most Active