Tea with Splenda and Carbs?

Janice D.
on 4/10/11 10:03 pm - Roanoke Rapids, NC
Please help me understand why a pot (100 fl oz.)  of hot tea with 5 T. of Splenda should have 20.72 g of carbs.  I thought the Splenda would be carb free.  It even shows that there are 10.07 g of sugar.  How does sugar differ from carbs?  Is this the old simple vs. complex carb question?  I have realized that even though I only average about 1000 calories daily (at 172 pounds), there is almost twice as many carbs as proteins in my diet.  I am a gastric bypass patient and am really trying to lose the last 15 or 20 pounds so I am analyzing my diet and looking for clues as to why my weight loss has almost stopped completely.  I have lost over 170 pounds and do know that your body does stop and level off at some point but I would think that the amount of calories would be more of a factor than the source - whether the calorie is from carbs or proteins or fats.  Please explain this to me.
H.A.L.A B.
on 4/12/11 6:42 am
Unfortunatelly is not like that.  Callories in and calories out doe snot work for some of us. I know that does not work for me.
If I eat carbs - I gain weight even when my cal is relatively low.   My body is supper sensitive to carbs and it realeases the insulin. Insulin role is to store fat. Extra insulin in blood stream may prevent fat releases from cells. The body metabolizm slows down.
Google " insulin role ",
google "calories not equal"... etc...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

jessemichael
on 4/27/11 12:39 pm
One important thing to note about no calorie sweeteners such as splenda is that they are not truly no calorie. No calorie sweeteners contain chemical compounds like sucralose and aspartame that give them the sweet flavor. While these compounds themselves usually contain little to no calories, they are mixed with fillers, usually maltodextrin. Maltodextrin is a starch that has as many calories per gram as sugar (about 4). One packet of splenda is 1 gram in weight, and is about 95% maltodextrin. One packet of splenda actually contains about 3.36 calories, but because the US FDA labeling laws state that as long as 1 referenced serving contains less than 5 calories, the food can be labeled as "zero calorie", they are able to get away with claiming it as a no calorie sweetener.

Don't let this information deter you from using no calorie sweeteners however, as one packet of regular sugar has about 11 calories (depending on the size of the packet), about 3 times the number of calories in splenda. Just don't think of no calorie sweeteners as a freebie that you can have as much as you'd like, because those calories that splenda does contain will add up over time.
Check out my personal weight loss tips blog.
Janice D.
on 4/28/11 1:46 am - Roanoke Rapids, NC
Thanks to both of you for the information.  It certainly makes me pause and consider EVERYTHING that passes my lips.  What you say makes so much sense now.  Janice
Most Active