May Be OT ~ Bakery catering to special dietary needs

SilentlyWeeping623
on 5/18/11 6:50 am - MA
Good Afternoon All,

I'll try to make a long story short, Im two years post RNY and I was laid off 6 months ago, and re-discovered baking. Where I live, there arent a ton of bakeries in the immediate area and the ones that are have no real info on making baked goods (cupcakes, cookies, cakes, pastries) for those that have special dietary needs (ie celiac patients, bypass patients, etc. etc.) SOO, I am thinking I will try opening my own business that caters to those patients needs (as well as making the regular versions)

I was hoping to get some input from any and everyone on this idea. Would you order from this type of business? Is it to my advantage for me to offer both regular baked goods and modified baked good (modified meaning the recipe has been altered to be OK for celiac's patients, bypass patients, etc).

Is it PC to say that my menu items can be made for special dietary needs and list....for example: allergies, bariatric patients, etc? Would that be offensive to anyone out there?

So far I have recipes I am working on for: White Cake, Chocolate and Devils Food Cake, Red Velvet Cake, Chocolate Chip Cookies, Peanut Butter Cookies......What else should I think about offering?

I may have an issue coming up with good frosting's but Im working on it.

Thanks for your input!!!

Nicki
Silently Weeping
242/226/145/140
Dr Sunny Shah -Tufts NEMC Boston MA
RNY ~Surg Date 4/27/09

Most Active