Need help with low sugars Posted on another board got a rude reply!

Karil G.
on 6/29/14 8:02 am - IL

Hello,  I am going to try one more time, please if you dont' have any help to give don't reply, I already received one very rude arrogant reply from another forum, thank you

I haven't been on here in a long time.  Surgery was 11/09.  Lost 150 and was doing pretty good.  In the last 6 months I have had problems with hypoglycemia.  Saw the GP for it and she said I was "dumping" because I was eating too many carbs and then blood sugar spiked and then dropped.  So i adjusted my diet and things were pretty good. Although i seemed to be hungry and need to snack all the time and have gained about 20 pounds in 6 months.  I never was a snacker, and now I was back to wanting to eat all the time, and I was getting really bummed.  But about 6 weeks ago I started feeling very ill.  sweating all the time, tired, achy muscles  ( I also have fibro) and I went to my GP again and thought maybe I developed Lupus, or something else.  She ran the first round of labs which came back all normal except for my iron which is really low.  So i started an iron supp.  Unfortunately she now is on a long vacation and wont be bac****il mid July.  After she left shortly after my appointment I kept having the strange symptoms but i could never figure out what was going on.  I saw no real pattern, and I was also having some other sensations such as burning feelings on my neck and head, (which I later figured must have been a reaction to a supplement I started and have since stopped).  So i also saw my nuero Dr, to see what he could do.  He wanted to order an MRI of neck and brain, and more labs, for things like lupus, lyme desease, RA etc.  everything came back normal.    I have been at the end of my rope and was getting very very depressed.  I was missing work (which I only work 3 days a week) and not being able to go anywhere because I never knew when i would have an "episode".  I thought maybe it was just a bad fibro flareup or maybe i had developed CFS.  Somehow I got the idea to check my blood sugars and when i saw that they were low, sometimes around 40 even after eating protein I started googling low blood surgar and wls and ended up here!  I have been trying to keep a food journal and record my blood sugar levels too, but I have not idea where to start.  My WLS group was let go from the hospital she was at and isn't practicing WLS anymore.  So i don't have a surgeon to go to.  only my GP.  I am so upset, i have no idea what to eat or when, or when to take my BS.  Can someone help me?  does it sound like i have Reactive hypoglycemia, or something else?  I just know whatever it is is totally related to my eating.  I am at the end of my rope.  I know even if my husband brings me to the ER (like he wanted to earlier) they would just do all the same tests and tell me everything is normal.  But I am not okay.  I am so sick sometimes and then 4 hours or so later I can feel pretty good, although not healthy like I did 2 months ago.  Will  I ever feel healthy again? 

thanks so much for any help you can give

Karil

conclusion
on 7/14/14 2:01 pm - Saint Paul, MN

Look around for other WLS surgeons that is what im in the process of doing I also have been off of her for years and gained 25 pounds back due to nerve pain and shoulder surgery  I hope all goes well

wildroseofky
on 9/21/14 10:26 am - Beauty, KY

Hello.  I understand completely what you are going through.  I was running around to one doctor after another trying to find out why I was having severe low blood sugar.  As low as 32.  I was hungry all the time and thirsty beyond belief.  I would get shaky, have night sweats and hot flashes. All my tests cam back fine except for Vitamin D level.  I was badly D deficient.  I just started supplements for that.  I began keeping track of my sugar and recording what I ate with an online food journal.  I have many diabetics in my family and the doctors thought I was headed that way as low blood sugar episodes are common when diabetes starts.    I came to the slow realization that all of my symptoms were from too many carbs.  My body was fighting the blood sugar swings by making me be thirsty and hungry.  Unfortunately eating more was not the answer.  I have cut out everything in my diet except fruits, veggies, and proteins.   I only eat whole grain bread, no more than two slices a day, and stay away from white bread.  As long as I eat only proteins with as little carbs as possible, fruits and veggies my symptoms go away. My blood sugar  drops if I go 4-5 hours without food so I make sure to eat three meals and two snacks a day.  It is easy to eat way more carbs than you realize.  I do my best to follow the Atkins on going weight loss diet.  It seems to work best for me.  I got a lot of ideas for low carb foods from the program.    I can no longer eat most fast food. It makes me sick and my sugar goes crazy.  I have learned to stick with salads, grilled chicken, or remove the bun from burgers.  A food log helps you figure out what foods cause the symptoms so you can change your eating habits.     I got really mad at myself when I realized I was making my own self sick and in denial about bad eating habits creeping back in.  

Most Active