NON-WHEY proteins?

CandaceHasCurves
on 8/11/14 9:55 am - Alexandria, VA

Hello, 

My husband is getting ready to have a surgery that will require him to be on a liquid diet--like the one I was on post-WLS--for several weeks. HOWEVER. Since my surgery, I've developed an anaphylactic allergy to whey and casein (dairy proteins) so the idea of having whey protein powder, or whey-based protein drinks in the house is VERY scary. My allergy is so severe we have zero dairy in the home to avoid cross-contamination.

Does anyone know of any brands of protein powders, drinks, shakes, etc. that are also easy to digest after stomach surgery, but are NOT whey-based?

THANK YOU!!

C

TTscrummer
on 8/15/14 2:33 am

Hi 

you can try MuscleMeds Carnivor protein it is a beef based protein so it is Lactose free. i have been using this for my pre and post op protein needs.

and with 23g of Protein 0 sugar and 8 carbs per serving its just what my dietitian recommended, and the chocolate taste really really good.

musclemeds carnivor

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/20/14 5:03 am

I developed allergy to dairy.. I now use vegan proteins. 

some that I tru\ied and recommend: (in this order) 

Orgain powder (Costco carries them)

Plant Fusion protein shakes

Vega shakes (all of them - vega one, vega smoothies, etc). 

There are also Soy based shakes - but I think no human should drink soy... (I also developed severe soy allergy and when I was using soy in the past -I had all the symptoms of hypothyroid )

Unsweet almond or unsweet coconut milk are great substitute for milk for me.. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

hollykim
on 8/21/14 5:23 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

egg whote protein powder is second in bioavailability to whey. There are several on the market. I sir Jay Robb chocolate. It is also sweetened with stevia.GL

Most Active