blended diet help

barbcooley
on 9/1/14 12:03 am

I am new to this forum and one week post op from VSG.  I am down 12 pounds and doing wonderful.  Today starts my blended diet phase, and I am just wanting to make sure I am doing everything exactly right.  I had a scrambled egg this am, but after cooking it, I added milk and then blended it until it would "technically" go thru a straw, (I'm not using a straw though, I know that's a no-no).  I guess I am just wondering if a scrambled egg without blending it would really be soft enough for this phase, or if everything really does need to be the texture that would go thru a straw.  Example: rice, it would easily go thru a straw in its normal state, so is that "ok"?  I am wanting so very badly to do everything right, for my biggest fear is a leak, and I would hate to know it was an advancement I made on my diet that caused my leak.  Any help with this two week phase of my life would be wonderful.  Thank you!!

Gwen M.
on 9/1/14 3:27 am
VSG on 03/13/14

During my pureed phase I had to actually puree everything.  There was no straw test to play around with.  I did eat some really awesome foods :D

http://myvsg.livejournal.com/37151.html

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Roni W.
on 9/8/14 10:08 pm - Forty Fort, PA

I'm in the same phase after a RNY revision. My instructions say "if you need to chew it, do NOT eat it"! Someone told me that the reason for this is that even if it seems soft enough to us, if it's not truly puréed then the stomach would normally need to churn etc. to digest it. That's what can cause leaks and tears. My surgeon told me that the tissues are so delicate, and remail swollen and irritated for 6-8 weeks after surgery.

im so scared of messing up my new pouch, etc. and having to have surgery again! No food would be worth that to me. I'm trying to just not think about what I can't have, it will come before long!

good luck!

Roni in PA :)
"Those hairline cracks running through me are stronger than your wholeness. Every stitch on me represents an obstacle I've overcome."
                                                    gu siorraidhbrath

Most Active