Low Hemoglobin Level - 6.5

mark1230
on 11/28/14 10:12 am, edited 11/28/14 10:18 am - TX

I just had my appendix taken out and discovered my hemoglobin level is dangerously low due to malabsorption after my rouxny in May 2003.  They want me to go in for blood regularly until I get my levels up, but I want to do it through nutrition and supplements. Any help Please. 

SFLAirMedic
on 12/6/14 2:37 am

Sublingual B-12. Dissolves under your tongue and runs straight into your blood stream without having to deal with the absent intrinsic factor in your ileum. 

mark1230
on 12/10/14 6:51 am - TX

Thank you so much, I will find some. I need to boost my B-12 and get my hair and nails back in shape too. 

(deactivated member)
on 12/10/14 12:34 am

I found the same thing out last week as I'm going to hopefully have a tummy tuck Dec. 22 and was doing my pre-op for that.  I was put on 325mg ferrous gluconate, 400mg folic acid, and I'm taking 1000mg Vitamin C.  The last two help the iron absorb better.  I take all 3 at 5am and then I shower and do my morning routine and I don't eat for at least an hour to try to give it time to get in my system.  Then, I eat but I stay away from calcium and caffeine as I read that keeps iron from absorbing so well into your body.  I hope this works for me so I can have my tummy tuck.  I have to go back next week and repeat my bloodwork.  Have you asked your doc about taking the prescription form of iron?  I also have been reading a lot about forms of iron in foods and the differences of absorption levels in meat-based high iron foods and plant-based high iron foods.  There is a lot of interesting reading out there and basically I learned the meat-based ones absorb better but you should eat a mix of both.  Keep us updated!

Earthgirl1914
on 12/19/14 10:19 pm - GA

To avoid complications from taking blood your doctor can give you Procrit or EPO injections which will increase your red blood cells. You may even be able to do injections yourself at home. Due to some female complications I lost a lot of blood in 2006 and had gotten down to a 4 hemoglobin. My gums were literally white!  At 6.5 you may likely be feeling weak already.  I went to Atlanta Medical Center where they have a bloodless medicine program.  Good luck to you! ~ Rhonda

Earthgirl1914

Most Active