Low carb foods

Stacy B.
on 1/11/15 3:13 am - Latty, OH
with

Hi everyone, I am in my second month of a three month diet pre op. I have freely given up all pop (soda) , sweets, caffeine. I went to see the dietitian Tuesday and she said to cut out sausage gravy as well. I have cut my portions way back to one biscuit with a 1/2 c of gravy. I gave up snacks, ie... potato chips, pretzels, pork rinds etc.. Is this the way I will have to eat from now on? Will I be able to have a glass of wine? A beer? I am fine with out the pop, and sweets, I just don't want to fall back because I have to cut out all of my favorite foods. If i have to i will but I don't wan to fail. Do you have to separate your fluids and food? I was told a half hour before and after eating. I am learning to chew food 25-30 times. I just need some assistance. My A1C stays between 6.5-7 , I only take 2mg glimeperide. my am readings are right around 140. So how many carbs do i need?? I am suppose to have the RNY , will i ever be able to eat sweets again? Just wondering...

Eggface
on 1/13/15 1:49 am - Sunny Southern, CA

You may not want some of those foods post weight loss surgery... its amazing what happens when you start to gain health and have purged unhealthy choices from your body. 

Yes you have to separate food from drink... not that difficult really... post surgery you will feel funky if you try and drink too soon. 

Alcohol is problematic for RNYers and should be avoided: Some articles on the topic

% of carbs will be determined by your medical team & based on lifestyle... someone who is very active requires more, someone with a sit down job requires less. Your diabetes status will make that % something to watch and address with your Dr's

You can definitely eat wonderful foods post weight loss surgery. Feel free to check out my blog link (in signature below) I've posted what I have eaten for the past 8 years post RNY. Hope it gives you peace of mind that yummy food is on the other side of this life choice. 

Best to you, Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Most Active