The pre and post op diet!

MyLastDitchEffort
on 4/13/15 8:53 am

Does anyone know of a fact sheet or webpage which clearly details what is to be eaten pre and post op? Nutritional guidelines and calorie amounts that sorta thing?

The reason I ask is I don't actually want weight loss surgery but I want to just eat like I had it, I mean I'd get the same results right?
I know this is mostly a weight loss surgery forum so I apologise if I offend anyone by being here I just figured you guys better than anyone would understand the journey of going from very large to small, quickly on a specific diet and be supportive about hunger pains, or loose skin or idunno whatever crops up!

Thanks in advance.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 4/14/15 2:41 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Hi again, sure most here are for wls, but the site is obesity help so I don't think you're offending anyone. Did you go to the non surgical weight loss forum? I'm not sure how active it is. How about posting this on the main board & instead of the title that you have, title it like not looking for weight loss surgery, but need guidance on losing weight, or something like that.

The way its titled now it looks like you're going for surgery, but titling it to show that you don't want surgery but still want help, might get a few responses to help guide you, including the moderator who might guide you to a different forum to help you out. Good Luck!

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

MyLastDitchEffort
on 4/14/15 9:07 am

Those are some very good ideas haha I am such a noob. Unfortunately from what I could see that forum seemed kinda dead but I'll definitely give it a go.

Gwen M.
on 4/14/15 7:28 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Diet guidelines all depend on the surgeon.  Most of us eat high protein, low carb.  I pretty much follow a paleo diet.  My plan requires three meals a day, no snack, and no liquid calories aside from a shake a day.  I think I would have eaten my arm had I tried to maintain this diet pre-op, since I would have been hungry all the time.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

MyLastDitchEffort
on 4/14/15 9:12 am

Ohhh ok thats what i guessed and have been doing. I make my own protein shake because I dont like the splenda crap that comes in the optifast stuff, its incredibly dense with nutrition, I add all sorts of stuff like chia seeds and vegegreens and almond flour etc. I never have calorie drinks I quit that habit the first time I lost weight a decade ago so thats easy enough :) Then at dinnertime I eat like a chicken drumstick and some textured vegetable protein which is ridiculously high in protein and really cheap.

all in all I am eating 900 calories a day, and about 80g of that is protein.

Hunger is not an issue for me, I can ignore hunger easily. I got fat because I have emotional binge eating problems, but I'm so anxious about being fat that eating does not even appeal to me at the moment.

Honestly losing weight isnt difficult its maintaining the loss thats the hard part amiright? lol  I maintained for 7 years and then blammo gained half back. smdh

anyway thank youu thats super helpful

Gwen M.
on 4/14/15 7:30 am
VSG on 03/13/14

There is a non-surgical support forum here - http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/non_postops/

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

MyLastDitchEffort
on 4/14/15 12:28 pm

I'll check it out, thanks!

CGCL
on 4/18/15 1:38 pm
RNY on 02/19/15

Preop I experimented and gradually raised my protein levels. I found that by eating about 110-130g per day I was able to easily eat 1400-1600 calories and steadily lost weight without many cravings. Now two months post op, I eat less than half that and am stuffed :) Keep in mind I'm likely taller than you at 6' so was probably eating more than you'd end up with.

Height: 6'0" HW 5/2013 295. Consult 7/29/14 275. SW 261. RNY 2/19/15. M1:-33! M2:-13.5. M3:-12. M4:-10.8. M5:-9.7. M6:-5. M7: -4.5. Pregnant 8/15-5/16. 10 weeks post partum: 173.

MyLastDitchEffort
on 4/18/15 1:40 pm

Thanks for the reply, and yes I'm only 5'7" :)

Ray Ross
on 4/19/15 7:31 am

I am in Canada and having surgery on May 4th.  My pre op diet starts tomorrow and it is 5 cups of 2% milk mixed with 80g (I think that would be just under 3 oz) of Allmax Isoflex protein powder.  They are very specific about using that powder.  I am supposed to divide that into 4 servings and have for breakfast, lunch, supper and evening snack before bed.  In addition to that I can have sugar free jello, broth and crystal lite or mil type flavourings added to water.  That's it, that's all for two weeks.  The post op diet for two weeks is the same except that you consume the same amount of protein over 8 servings as you have less capacity in your stomach.  

They are very clear that you should be consuming 60-80 g of protein per day and that you should always have your protein before carbs or fat.

Have a great day!

Most Active