What am I missing in my diet? Teeth chipping!!!

twalker
on 3/30/16 3:46 am
Mini Gastric Bypass on 03/12/12

Hey guys, has anyone had a problem with chipping teeth?  Im 3yrs out and it just started.  My front two teeth just started chipping away.  And if u look at them, they are hollow, almost like they are very brittle.  My PCP has done labs and they all come back ok.  So what could be wrong?  Is my body not absorbing something the way it should, am I not taking the right vitamins?  Im lost, PLEASE HELP!!  I have lost contact with my bypass doctor so not sure who to go to now for questions.   New to the group, just joined today, so any feedback is greatly appreciated!!!  thanks in advance!!!

Maria27
on 4/1/16 5:31 pm - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

Did you have your parathyroid hormone level checked? When you are not consuming enough calcium, your body releases parathyroid hormone to leach calcium from your bones and maintain adequate calcium in your blood. This means that a calcium test will come back normal, so there is no way to know if you are getting enough calcium without checking your parathyroid hormone level or getting a bone scan to check for bone loss. Teeth are often the first to suffer when you don't get enough calcium, so that would be my first guess.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

Laura in Texas
on 4/2/16 5:11 am

I agree with the above reply!! Get your doctor to run more tests. I would also start taking more calcium.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/9/16 8:39 pm

I agree with others... You need to get bone scan.. 

For healthy bones, teeth, we not only need calcium, but other minerals like magnesium, boron, etc.. And vitamins like D, K2.. Teeth that looks hollow may indicate serious bone loss.. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

CMR1075
on 4/10/16 9:08 pm
VSG on 01/15/16

Have you seen a dentist yet? Could you be stressed and possibly grinding or clenching your teeth? Those will for sure chip the incisal edges off your front teeth if it has to do with your bite. 

Most Active