Liquids before/during meal

Boxerlover3452
on 7/10/16 3:56 pm
RNY on 06/06/16

I was told to NOT drink anything 1/2 hour BEFORE I eat and wait 1/2 hour AFTER I eat.  Do you all do that also?  How long do you wait to eat after you drank something?  How long do you wait to drink anything AFTER you eat something?

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 7/10/16 6:05 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I do wait a 1/2 hour after I ate something to start drinking again, however I don't wait a 1/2 hour b4 a meal to drink. I wait maybe 5 or 10 minutes, if that.

I'm not sure if you had the rny or the vsg, but Frisco had a nice post about the pyloric valve & how it stays open whenever we drink something but closes whenever we eat something, but rny'rs don't have the pyloric valve in their new anatomy so I'm guessing they avoid eating & drinking at the same time so they don't empty their stomach too soon.

Use the search button in the top right hand corner, the magnifying glass, there might be old posts related to your question. Good Luck 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Boxerlover3452
on 7/11/16 5:46 am
RNY on 06/06/16

thank you.  Very helpful

(deactivated member)
on 7/10/16 8:35 pm

I don't drink till I am about a hour after eating. 

Boxerlover3452
on 7/11/16 5:47 am
RNY on 06/06/16

I'm not sure I could wait that long, because sometimes I start to cough and actually feel like I'm choking.  So I do take a very small sip or 2 to prevent from choking.

(deactivated member)
on 7/11/16 6:11 am

You feel like you are choking after you eat or between eating and drinking?  Things work for one person may not work for another. This website is a great place to come for help. I know I really needed it in the beginning.  I really need it now also. 

travsis3890
on 7/10/16 11:55 pm

Well I was told 1 hour before and 1 hour after. Although, it rarely happens with me and I slip up a lot, especially if the food is too spicy. Drinking water in between a meal makes you feel full pretty quickly, that's another way to lose weight :P

But here is an interesting news I found about why you should drink water during meals-

http://news.health.com/2015/06/17/why-you-really-should-drink-water-during-meals/

Boxerlover3452
on 7/11/16 6:04 am
RNY on 06/06/16

Thanks Travis.  Interesting article.  However, I think for those of us who had WLS it works a little differently and I know there's an explanation for it, I just can't remember because at my surgeon's office there were so many do's and don'ts. 

(deactivated member)
on 7/11/16 6:13 am

If we drink water or anything else with meals it can wash the food out of our pouch. It will make us feel hungrier between meals. That is why a lot of people say it will cause regain. 

Boxerlover3452
on 7/11/16 6:41 am
RNY on 06/06/16

ok.  Now I remember.  Thanks 3Bassethounds.  (by the way, I take it by your name that you have 3 of these gorgeous dogs?)  They are so cool.  would love to see pictures.

Most Active