BOOK RECOMMENDATION: DIET FOR SOMEONE WHO HAS HAD WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY?

twjojo09
on 7/23/16 4:28 pm

Hello! I had the Vertical Sleeve done in December 2013. I did great for about a year. I ate healthy, no pop, very rarely ate sweets, rarely any bread, rarely pastas our rice, but I became bored with my diet and started to eat more chocolate and other sweets. I haven't been getting all the protein  or  water that I am supposed to have. Lately, I have been eating more unhealthy snacks than real food.

I really don't remember much from my nutritional appointments before my surgery. Looking on the internet is like trying to find a needle in a haystack! I can't seem to drink protein shakes, because I have become lactose intolerant. I tried what I use to drink, slimfast, with soymilk and Lactaid, but that doesn't work. I get sick. I can tolerate Lactaid in oatmeal, cereal, or a small glass. All I ever drink is water flavored with Mio.

I need a book that will tell me how many grams of protein and other things I need, other foods I should eat, and what kind of foods to stay away from. Like, breaded foods don't digest well for me or broccoli.

Any ideas on a book? I moved to another state so I haven't been able to go to the nutritionist  or the PA that I saw before.

Thanks! Terry

twjojo09
on 7/23/16 4:31 pm

Btw, my weight is fine at about 130. It has stayed the same for probably 8 months.

Boxerlover3452
on 7/24/16 10:03 am
RNY on 06/06/16

Try www.bariatriceating.com they have menu ideas for different stages and you can also order food.  I just ordered the soup. 

twjojo09
on 7/24/16 11:00 am

Thank you! I'll check it out.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 7/25/16 5:36 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Well you can get ideas from a book or you can explore this site. Go to the rny forum & check out the what are you eating threads for ideas, or go to Shelleys blog/website the world according to egg face for recipe ideas.

Books are nice, interacting with people who eat & modify the recipes to fit in for wls patients is nicer. Just sayin

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Boxerlover3452
on 8/2/16 7:34 am
RNY on 06/06/16

T.......I totally agree with you.  The problem I find is most of the ideas on what people on this site are eating is they are a lot further out.  I wish we had recipes broken down into how far out you are.  I.E. 4 months, 6 months, etc. etc.  Perhaps I'm missing something.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 8/2/16 8:00 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

The recipes are for the most part for people past the early stages of wls, but once you're onto solid foods it shouldn't matter how many months you are out from surgery. The only thing I figure you'd need is a breakdown of the calories,carbs etc for each recipe so it could be more in tune with whatever place you're at in your weight loss journey. i.e losing weight/maintaining.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

supershopper
on 7/25/16 10:30 am

Mine said min 65 grams prot

64 oz water min

I try to keep under 50 grams of carbs a day

I track everything I eat in MFP

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

steph_foodcoachme
on 7/28/16 9:29 am

Hi Terry!

Congratulations on your success! And for being honest with yourself to get back on track with taking care of yourself :)

If I may, I'll share a quick rundown of what I recommend in my practice for post-ops. While I do have a cookbook (shameless plug) I don't have a specific book about the bariatric diet, but do have lots of information and resources on my website.

Nonetheless this is what we focus on in my practice (I know there are lots of differences out there! And of course this is meant to be general and not specific medical recommendations)

1. Eat 3 meals per day, making 2/3 of the meal from a lean protein and the other 1/3 from a non-starchy vegetable (take 2 bites of protein to every 1 bite of vegetable)
  2. ASMBS Guidelines (the governing body over what Bariatric programs are a "Center of Excellence") recommends 60-80 grams of protein. For a visual, this is the equivalent of 2 ounces of protein at breakfast, 3 ounces at lunch, 3 ounces at dinner. If you are reaching that much protein in your meals - protein shakes are not necessary.
  3. Remember your postop eating behaviors of taking small bites and eating slowly to tolerate solid meats, avoid fluids with your meals and up to 60 minutes after.
  4. Reach your fluid goals of 64+ oz of water/sugar-free beverages a day
  5. While lean protein and vegetables are the best foods to focus on, you can have limited fruits (0-1/day), healthy fats (like nuts or salad dressing 0-2/day) but the foods to avoid for hunger control, weight control and even blood sugar control are starches and sweets (breads, pasta, rice, potatoes, etc)

I know there is a lot more to cover but hope this quick list is a good starting point for you! Also, keep up with vitamins if you aren't already! :)

khinmn59
on 9/19/16 11:59 am
RNY on 12/19/16

It would be a good idea to get connected with a reputable bariatric surgeon/program in your area.  WLS requires life long follow up to help you remain healthy.  The new bariatric program can provide you with written guidelines and also a refresher visit with the dietician. This way you will receive information specific to you and the surgery you had.

Most Active