1 week post-op struggling

KAYOUNG5
on 10/25/16 1:30 pm
RNY on 10/19/16

I had a RNY on 10/19. Struggling with how i should be feeling inside, why things feel wrong  why what i eat and drink does not seem to fill me yet i dont feel i ned to eat more.  Mentally emotional cryling in frustration wishing i had not done this. Then fine the next.  Incision pain irritation.  So much. HELP

Hilda25
on 10/25/16 1:55 pm
RNY on 03/16/15

You are less than a week out, your body is trying to adjust to all the changes. Don't give up, it will get better! Are you getting in all of your fluids? How about protein, how many grams are you able to take in? Are you still on a liquid diet or are you starting to add in puréed foods?

RNY 3/16/15 HW 277 SW 263 CW 156

KAYOUNG5
on 10/25/16 2:03 pm
RNY on 10/19/16

Trying hard to get in all fluids  it is difficult  hitting between 50 and 60 day. 60 gms protien  constantly feel sweaty tried pureed today but only got down a few sips when drinking water  get nausea. I can do popcicles 

KAYOUNG5
on 10/25/16 2:11 pm
RNY on 10/19/16

Trying hard to get in all fluids  it is difficult  hitting between 50 and 60 day. 60 gms protien  constantly feel sweaty tried pureed today but only got down a few sips when drinking water  get nausea. I can do popcicles 

Go_Zippy
on 10/28/16 10:02 am
RNY on 10/20/16

Had my RNY on 10/20 so I can sure empathize with you. Found I can best meet protein target by have a 30 gm shake in the am and one in the pm. I drink them in divided doses over an hour. That gets in 60 grams protein total and all extra protein is bonus so I don't track it.

Fluids: Plain water which I used to drink by the gallon doesn't taste good now, neither does crystal light. I found low cal cranberry juice (5 cal per 8 oz) on ice tastes pretty good so I sip on that all day. I like popsicles too (especially the orange ones).

So those things cover my protein and fluid needs. Sugar free fudgesicles are good for me and fill me up. Also SF cocoa made with milk gives a good protein boost and is very filling.

I'm walking every day, some days more than others, but aim for between 1-2 miles. Just plug in the iTunes and off I go. No race, just get 'r done. I get out of the house every day which boosts my spirits.

My insides are definitely different! Have had issues with constipation that are slowly resolving but that made me miserable! Also found it so hard to reposition myself, turn in bed, etc. without pain. My skin is itchy around the incision sites and the healing bruises and new contours in my belly make it look like a Halloween pumpkin! I even gained weight after the surgery! Ugh. But I've lost that post op weight and a few more pounds so now am headed back in the right direction.

Just one foot in front of the other, one day at a time. We are learning a new way to live and soon these days will be a distant memory!

5'5" HW: 348.5, SW: 311.2, CW: 254.6

Dior1805
on 11/10/16 2:13 pm

First of all, CONGRATS on your surgery!! I know it is really hard to see right now when your body and mind are adjusting to all of the changes. However, there IS light at the end of the tunnel. 

I had the DS about four years ago and remember thinking right after my surgery, "WHY DID I DO THIS TO MYSELF?!". Now I am at my goal weight and life is great. The pain will definitely subside after a little bit longer. Make sure to take it easy, listen to the surgeon's advise, and remember that you have majorly changed your body and it takes some time to get used to everything. 

Make sure to check your incisions for signs of infection- if there are none then it is just regular pain that WILL go away. Also, if you do not have a binder, you may want to consider getting one. For some reason pressure alleviated a lot of my incision pain. Keep a pillow around just in case you have to laugh or cough (if you have to do that, press the pillow onto your abdomen and it should help a little). Another thing that they said would help that I doubted but it really did help with is WALK. After surgery I would walk around my house and do a set amount of laps. As the time passed, I would walk more and more around my house. The movement helps to keep your insides moving as they should so you will feel less pain from pressure. 

Keep your chin up. It absolutely gets so much better!!! Best of luck and feel free to contact me if you need any motivation or general assistance. Cheers! :)

Most Active