DEHYDRATED

Mandi87
on 12/12/16 9:50 am
RNY on 12/08/16

I'm only 4 or 5 days post op and I just can't seem to get enough fluid in my body. I know that I can't just guzzle my usual 80/90 ounces in as easily as before surgery but I'm really struggling to feel hydrated enough. I feel weak and groggy which I expected to an extent because of the operation itself but if there are any suggestions out there on how to get more water in my system I would be so grateful! I am trying to take it slow and steady because I don't want to overdo it and end up vomiting but I'm pretty miserable and starting to feel like I'm stranded in a desert somewhere. Been freezing ice cube trays with gatorade and crushing those into chips to get a steady intake but its just not enough. Please help! 

Brandi Girl
on 12/12/16 5:08 pm
WLS on 10/18/11

How about sucking on sugar free popsicle sticks? Are you still on liquid only diet? Those liquids count towards your fluid intake as well. I felt weak and groggy for almost 2 months after surgery not to scare you! But my body and blood sugar just had to adjust to getting basically nothing in! Every 15 minutes I was told to take a sip (try for one ounce). All day long! Sip Sip Sip!! The amount you are able to take in will increase, I promise! 

Mandi87
on 12/13/16 10:55 am
RNY on 12/08/16

I did get some sugar free popsicles last night and that seemed to help a little bit. Seems like it gets just the tiniest bit better everyday but I'm already feeling impatient because I'm so used to drinking a lot of water when I'm thirsty. It is definitely an adjustment for sure. Thank you for idea and the support!

Bypassed2015x
on 12/14/16 12:05 pm
RNY on 12/21/15

Try sf popsicles, g2, jello, broth, crystal light, powerade zero, market pantry drink powder has good flavors to put in your water i use the fruitpunch flavor.. so good , good luck , since your out recently you might want to take it slowly i was the same as you lol :) 

Cosmos2112
on 12/17/16 7:18 pm

I'm also concerned about dehydration as I get pretty bad leg cramps. Surgery this coming Thursday. On Jardiance a diabetes med which sometimes if I don't drink enough I get leg cramps. Likely I'll be off that med after surgery but still concerned. I'm going to make sure I do my best to drink enough. NUT said minimum  of 50 ounces of fluid a day. Full liquid diet two weeks. Protein shakes must have at least 20 grams protein, less than 200 calories, and no more than 10 grams of sugar. She recommends Fairlife milk as it's very high in protein. I'm going to use Premier protein RTD and I just bought Combat protein powder. 

RNY 12/22/2016. HW 228. SW 224. CW 122

Dr. Aviv Ben-Meir. Lake West Medical Center, Willoughby OH

Mandi87
on 12/17/16 8:02 pm
RNY on 12/08/16

I'm just over a week out from having my surgery and I'm still struggling to get all my fluids in. I think now that I have a better handle on what my body is able to handle it will be easier to drink more. I was just so worried in the very beginning that I'd drink too much too fast. I would check with your doctor about the leg cramps though. That's probably the last thing you'll want to have to deal with right after surgery. I know there are some good muscle rubs and essential oils out there for leg cramps - might be worth looking into just to be on the safe side. If you decide to go with oils make sure you get certified pure therapeutic grade. Some bottles will say "cptg" on them. I usually just go with the do Terra brand because they're consistently good and you never have to guess with them. :)

Most Active