Flax

Sharon Neva
on 7/26/04 2:55 am - SD
So, can you tell me (one more time) what's the deal with flax ?????? Sharon Read my WLS story at www.SharonNeva.com
Alice W.
on 7/26/04 3:46 am - Long Island, NY
Sharon~~Hello are you home? Here is a re-post from Dame Tooter!!!!! Hello family, Just thought Id share with everyone some important facts about flax seeds, please keep in mind they have to be ground so you will get the oil and keep them in the refridgerator once ground. I am hooked on these and I eat 3 tablespoons everyday, faithfully. The TEN Most important features of Flax Flax contributes to lower blood cholesterol. Flax assists in the control of high blood pressure. Flax reduces the threat of blood clots. Flax improves laxation. Flax helps control blood sugar. Flax aids in clearing up skin conditions. Flax is a protector against tumor formation. Flax aids in the growth and development of the fetus. Flax offers benefits for human health and nutrition. Flax can benefit patients with lupus disease. Read below for additional important information Research and clinical experience demonstrate the following benefits from regular consumption of flax seed: 1. Cancers. For over 35 years, German lipid researcher Johanna Budwig has been using flaxseed oil successfully in cancer therapy. She has more than 1,000 documented cases of successful cancer treatment with flaxseed oil as the main treatment. In his New York City clinic, the now- deceased Dr. Max Gerson, used fresh flaxseed oil as the principal cancer fighting agent. More recent research shows the LNAs kill human cancer cells in tissue culture without harming the normal cells. Breast, lung and prostate cancer cell lines were studied. As mentioned above, research evidence suggests that lignans may fight off chemicals responsible for initiating tumors and block estrogen receptors, which may reduce colon cancer risk. And according to Dr. James Duke of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, flax seed contains 27 identifiable cancer preventive compounds. 2. Heart Disease. One of the unique features of flax seed oil is that it contains a substance that resembles prostaglandins, which may well be part of its potent therapeutic pressure and arterial function, and have an important role in calcium and energy metabolism. No other vegetable oil examined so far matches this property of flaxseed oil. Similarly, LNAs blood regulating capabilities prevent spontaneous blood clots caused by an excess of fatty acids derived from refined polyunsaturated oils. This has implications for preventing stokes if used at an early enough stage in a remedial lifestyle change using both exercise and improved diet. 3. Diabetes. Late onset adult diabetes is suspected to originate partially from a deficiency of LNAs and an excess of saturated and trans fats in the diet. Although this syndrome can take as long as 30 years to emerge as a full blown disease, reversal of symptoms can occur with positive changes in the diet and proper supplementation of LNA from flax seed oil. A concurrent lack of vitamins and minerals makes the disease worse. LNAs also may lower the insulin requirement of diabetics. 4. Inflammatory Tissue Conditions. LNA fatty acids decrease inflammatory conditions of all types. Inflammatory conditions are the diseases that end in "itis," including bursitis, tendonitis, tonsillitis, gastritis, ileitis, colitis, meningitis, arthritis, phlebitis, prostatitis, nephritis, splenitis, hepatitis, pancreatitis, otitis, etc., as well as lupus. Many of these inflammatory conditions may be eased by use of LNAs. 5.Skin Conditions. Pedigree show animals are fed linseed oil, made from flaxseed, to keep their coats glossy. Along the same lines, recent research has shown that skin conditions in humans, such as psoriasis and eczema, have improved dramatically when flaxseed and flax oil was added to the diet. These skin conditions exacerbate from lack of LNAs in the diet. You will see that your skin gets smoother, softer and velvety from taking flaxseed oil regularly in your diet. It's also helpful for treating dry skin, dandruff and sun-sensitive skin. 6. Sexual Disorders. Dr. Budwig has found flaxseed oil to be a natural aphrodisiac. The most common physical cause of impotency in men and non-******ic response in women is blockage of blood flow in the arteries of the pelvis. Decrease of blood flow prevents full expansion (erection) of the penis and/or clitoris. Thus *********** and/or ****** cannot occur. The solution is to unblock narrowed arteries in general, and the consumption of flaxseed oil will help. Flax seed oil is quickly gaining the reputation as one of the best aphrodisiacs of the 90s. 7. Calmness Under Stress. Many people find increased calmness to be the most profound effect of using fresh flax seed oil. It brings on a feeling of calmness often within a few hours. This may be partly due to the fact that, under stress, LNA fatty acids appear to slow down the overproduction of stressing biochemicals like arachidonic acid which happens when we are chronically stressed. 8. Water Retention. The LNA and LA fatty acids in flax oil helps the kidneys excrete sodium and water. Water retention (edema) accompanies swollen ankles, some forms of obesity, PMS, and all stages of cancer and cardiovascular disease. 9. Vitality and Athletic Ability. One of the most noticeable signs of improved health from the use of flax seed oil is progressive and increased vitality and energy. Flax increases metabolic rate and the efficiency of cellular energy production. It stimulates respiratory and cellular oxidation by which energy is produced which we experience as warmth. For athletes, or anyone wishing to reduce fat and create a fit, lean body, this is great news! 10. Other Conditions. LNAs are necessary for visual function (retina), adrenal function (stress) and sperm formation. They often improve symptoms of multiple sclerosis. In fact, when LNA consumption is high, MS is rare. Flax oil also can be helpful in systic fibrosis (LNA helps loosen viscous secretions and relieves breathing difficulties); some cases of sterility and miscarriage; some glandular malfunctions; some behavioral problems (schizophrenias, depression, bipolar disorder); allergies, addictions (to drugs or alcohol); and some deviant behaviors. Susan Smith Jones has a B.S. in psychology, a M.S. in kinesiology and a Ph.D in health sciences and has been a fitness instructor at UCLA for over 20 years. In 1985 and again in 1988 Susan was selected by the President's Council on Physical Fitness and Sports as on of the ten "Healthy American Fitness Leaders." She is the author of several books including ' The Main Ingredients of Health and Happiness.'
(deactivated member)
on 7/26/04 7:27 am - Yakima, WA
Sadly, this isn't my post. This is from Theresa White Mine is as follows: Probably WAY more than you want to know: Flaxseeds are the oil/fiber baring seeds from the flax plant I eat them ground in hot cereal, yogurt, pudding, mixed into a smoothie, carnation instant breakfast, sprinkled on my peanut butter toast - or just sprinkled on a tablespoon of peanut butter lol. I like to sprinkle whole or ground seeds onto salads - yummm and I bake with them sometimes. Baking or eating them whole you don't get the oil from them, but you get tons of fiber - which is good for bowel health. They DO contain about 49 calories per tablespoon BUT I dont' count that into my daily calorie count. I figure the benefit I get from them is so great I don't want to be calorie frugal with them! And I know my other vitamins must have calories, but they don't tell me how many! Flaxseed contains essential fatty acids (EFA's) which promote healthy skin, nails and hair. Most people are deficient in EFA's, so it stands to reason that we, who malabsorb fats, would be at an ever higher risk for this deficiency. Flaxseed itself is much better for you than the oil, since you get excellent fiber from the seeds and none from the oil itself. You should buy them whole if at all possible, but ground is ok so long as they are not OLD. I do NOT recommend buying them from either Wal-mart OR GNC as neither place keeps them in cold storage and just leaves them out on the shelves for weeks and weeks. If you have a small healthfood store in your town, that's usually the best way to get them - and often they are in the fridge. Many places online sell them - you can google for them - I buy mine from my nutritionist - he orders them fresh for me - about 2 bucks a pound - and 3 pounds does my whole family for a month +. Once purchase they should be kept in the fridge (for up to about 6 weeks) or freezer (for up to about a year). If the ones you buy are vaccuum packed and on the shelf that is fine. Look for a pull date - so long as you buy them and refrigerate them before the pull date they are fine I use a cheapy coffee grinder from walmart - under 10 bucks. Dedicated to my flaxseeds only. I clean it out after every use by tossing one slice of cheap white bread chopped into cubes into it and whirring that around and then dumping the whole lot in the trash - removes all residue and oil from the machine. Wipe with a paper towel and wala - ready for the next day. (I hear saltine crackers whirred in it serve the same purpose for cleaning it) I use 1 tablespoon a day in the morning. IF I've not gotten in a decent amount of EFA rich foods for the day in the evening I'll have another tablespoon of it in yogurt, pudding, cranberry juice, whatever. Oh and you measure that BEFORE you grind it. Within 24 hours of grinding, Flax has lost about HALF it's essential oils...within 1 week it has 'peaked' and has only about 1/8 of its oils left. By one month, you basically are just getting fiber (and it's not a good fiber as it's been ground TOO fine to be of a lot of help to your bowels. It will help SOME, but not a great amount) out of it and even that has started to break down. It's that old saying about avoiding processed foods as much as possible. 1 tablespoon is: 59 calories (just remember you malabsorb SOME of this) 2.34 grams of protein 4.11 grams of carbohydrates 3.3 grams of fiber 0.13 grams of sugar
Alice W.
on 7/26/04 9:07 am - Long Island, NY
Tooter~~I am so sorry--I thought this was a post from YOU!! Thanks for coming here and posting your info on Flax Seed!!! Hope this has not caused you any problems--again, I'm sorry~~Alice
Brandi F.
on 11/6/07 12:50 pm - Hamburg, PA
As you can see, I'm reading old posts! LOL I would like to add flax to my diet and I can see that having the seeds is better than just using the oil. I have a question...do the seeds NEED to be ground or can one just chew them well? Thanks!!

Lap RNY on 8-21-07
I'm 5'2'', I'm 34 years old, and I have 175 pounds to lose!!

Most Active