Vena Cava Filters, do you have one?

Gail Ann O.
on 4/19/05 8:28 am - Bronx, NY
My surgeon, Dr. Sapala has recommended that I have a filter inserted prior to my micropouch surgery. I have just started my process and met with the nutritionist, surgeon, had my blood work done and have my psych appointment scheduled for next Tuesday. My biggest concern about the WLS has been about the risk of clots leading to death. I have no history of clots nor does my family. However, I am 51, have an apple shape and my surgeon noticed that my calves have statis dermatitis, which, he says can be problematic for clotting. I would appreciate any information you can give me on your experience with having this filter inserted. I know it can go in an arm, neck or groin, so please let me know where your dr inserted it. I'd like to know how painful it was and if you had any complications with the filter and also if you had any complications with your surgery. I have 2 grown children and a 2 year old granddaughter and a loving, wonderful husband that I want to grow old with. I would hate to think that on my journey to better health and a "normal" body, I would die. I believe that WLS is my last saving grace. I am committed to have this work and to reach my goals. I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you so much! Gigi
SpyderS
on 4/23/05 3:09 pm - Swedesboro, NJ
Hi. My surgeon suggested that I have the filter too. I did not/do not have a history with blood clots. I had mine inserted a few weeks b4 surgery. I had no ill effects whatsoever, and while I was in the hospitial from WLS, blood clots was one thing that I did not worry about. My surgeon said that I cold have it removed if I wanted to, but it had to be done before 6 months post-op. I chose to keep mine in. They put me to sleep, and again, I had no problems at all. Spyder -133.5
Gail Ann O.
on 4/24/05 8:03 am - Bronx, NY
Thank you so much for letting me know about your experience with the filter. I know it will help me reduce my fear of clots and since the dr did recommend it, it makes sense. I hope that your WLS was a success and you are enjoying your new self!! Gail
Linda H.
on 5/5/05 9:01 am - Atlanta, GA
I do have a vena cava filter! My surgeon reccommended it. I have a couple antibodies that cause me to hypercoagulate. I had a TIA 2 years ago and have been on coumadin ever since then. My filter was inserted through my neck at the beginning of my surgery. My filter will remain forever. I had no problems whatsoever. I would never have known that they did it had they not told me that they were doing it, and had I not had a huge bandage on my neck afterward. I am now 6 weeks post op and am feeling GREAT. I have lost 35 pounds and have gained tons of energy. The surgery is worth anything you have to go through to get it. The filter was easy and all the things that caused concern about blood clots are quickly disappearing. My advise - Go for it with confidence. I am 46 years old and have 4 young children. Linda
Thelma
on 4/14/07 11:02 am - Westlake, LA
I have the filter as required by my surgeon. It was inserted thru the groin and i was a sleep for the few minutes that was required. At age 73 having Duodenal switch, he wanted to eliminate the possiblity of blood clot to the lungs. I still have the filter 1 1/2 yrs later. No problems. The surgery has been a revolution in my life. No longer diabetic. Off the several medications i took for it. Lost 55 lbs. I was a lite weight compared to others. I'm much better off health wise and much more active. Go for it. Nightingale
Most Active