Which calcium supplement after LAP BAND?

Jaimi K.
on 7/19/05 2:01 am - Massapequa, NY
Lap Band on 05/31/05 with
I am so confused. I am not sure what kind of calcium is recommend for post LAP-BAND. I keep reading that 2 Tums is ok, or that Citracal is better. I know the citrate is supposed to be better absorbed but then again, I am a lap bandster and there's no malabsorption issues. Any bandsters have advice on this???
chihmom6
on 7/19/05 8:41 am - Chandler, AZ
Hi Jaimi, My nutritionist said to make sure the calcium supplement is Calcium citrate as it is more absorbable than the other forms of calcium. The type of supplement makes a difference on how it is absorbed in the intestines, whether you have the band, RNY or nothing. You also want to make sure the supplement contains Vitamin D as that helps absorption as well. Citracal is what I take. Hope this helps. Rachael.
bjglisson
on 7/19/05 1:56 pm - Pineville, LA
Jaimi: I am RNY but I take 2 Viactiv a day for my Calcium. I would think it would be alright for you also. Bobbie
MagickalMom
on 7/20/05 2:58 pm - Joint Base Lewis McChord, WA
RNY patients cannot absorb calcium carbonate (what is in viactic, tums, etc..) We need calcium citrate. At least that is what my surgeon and nutritionist said! HTH! Brightest Blessings for a Wonderful Day~ Jamie M. aka Lady Autumn Weight- 257/168/146 BMI- 44.1/28.8/25 Height- 5'4" Total Weight Loss: -89 lbs. Surgery Date- 1/19/05 Visit my OH profile or stop by My Weight Loss Journey Website at: home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-LadyAutumnsWLSjourney Visit my Live Journal at: livejournal.com/users/magickalmom
bjglisson
on 7/20/05 11:07 pm - Pineville, LA
Jamie, Dr. Barnes my surgeon told me after my surgery to take either 2 tums or 2 Viactiv a day. The Viactiv are chewable come in many flavors. He said his patients preferred the Viativ, I also take a B12 inj each month which I give to myself and a multivitamin with iron. All my labs are great. Had surgery on 3/11/05 have lost 62 pounds and down 2 sizes in my clothes. I am soon to be 65 so I am very greatful for what this surgery has down for me. Have a great day. Bobbie
Sherri B.
on 7/22/05 1:53 pm - Longmont, CO
Hi Jamie K., I had the Rny and I take the Viactiv. I also take 2 Flintston vitiams and B-12 pill that melts under your tongue. I had my one year anniversary July 12th and I have lost 110 pounds. All of my lab work has come out just beautiful. I am also 50 years young. Good luck on decidng which vitamins and supplements you feel will work for you. The one thing I do advise is make sure they disolve or are chewable. Sherri B.
Most Active