Carbs?

vratliff21
on 10/16/05 12:33 pm - Southfield, MI
I am three months out of surgery and am eating 90 grams of protein and 45-60 grams of fat every day, along with 64+ ounces of water. How many carbs should I be having each day? I know it is not as much as usual, but I know we still need them. Can anyone give me any numbers (low and high) for daily carb intake?
Karen K.
on 10/17/05 3:53 am - Paris, France
Vernon, With your protein and fat intake, you take in 900 calories. The rest of your calories should be complex carbohydrates. I cannot recommend a number, because I don't know how much you weigh, if you have any health problems, if you are actively losing or maintaining, and if you are working out. I am assuming that you are a man! Anyway, don't be carb phobic as many people on the boards here have become. Eating complex carbs are the only way for your brain to function properly, as well as giving you the energy needed for the day and to protect the muscle that you have. If you can afford it, I would go to a nutritionist and discuss your individual needs. The only time that carbs are "bad" is when they are in overly processed foods (white flour, white sugar) and then you could still eat some in moderation. We need carbs--just don't eat them to excess or protein or fat to excess, for that matter! Make sure you choose whole grains, whole grain breads, starchy vegetables with no added fat (unless you count it in your fat intake), vegetables and fruits. Look at the government's food pyramid and at the U of Michigan's "healing food pyramid" for general guidance. I also recommend Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition Guidebook. It is written very well and covers basic nutrition (NOT diet as a four letter word) for health. If you need anymore help, email me! cheers, KarenK
Most Active