Anyone have reactive hypoglycemia?

moroake
on 2/25/06 9:07 am - Houston, TX
What do you eat to control it? I have been diagnosed and I drop my sugar when I eat almost any carbs. I eat every 2 hours if I go much longer that 2.5 I drop my sugar into the 50's. This is so odd since before my RNY I was diabetic and on 100 units of insulin per day. I have been off my insulin for a year now. Michelle 205/109/105
Anggi
on 9/10/07 6:37 am - Rapid City, SD
I don't have an answer for you but am interested in hearing what others may say. I had hypoglycemia prior to my WLS but controlled it well with diet. It was still controllable after WLS; however, I underwent cancer treatment at 3 months out from WLS. The radiation and chemotherapy did a horrific job on my hypoglycemia. First, throughout the treatment, I had to eat virtually all day long because at not quite 4 months out from WLS, I was threatened not to lose any weight during the 7 weeks of treatment. However, following treatment, I have been unable to get the hypoglycemia under control and need to eat about every 2 - 3 hours. Therefore, now that I am 1 year out, I am gaining weight. I have not found the answer to keeping the hypoglycemia under control and reducing my eating in order to not gain weight.
(deactivated member)
on 9/10/07 10:14 am
I have the same thing - it creeped up on me when I was about 6 months out. And I wasn't diabetic before surgery - my sugar was fine. It took me a few months to figure out what to do, but now I eat 3 meals and 2-3 snacks a day, it really all depends on how I am feeling on how many snacks. For a while I was waiting until I didn't feel well and then eating but I was miserable the whole time. So, now I plan on eating every 2-3 hours, no matter what. And it works. As for what I eat, I tend to eat a protein and carb together, that works best for me. Protein bars are a big help, since I can carry them anywhere and they are good for a quick boost. I have a sugar-free recipe for peanut butter pudding that I love and is probably the thing that helps the most when I am at home, as well as string cheese. I also carry cheese and crackers or peanut butter and crackers for emergencies - I try not to eat these too often but they help if I feel a low coming on. I do carry candy with me for an emergency - my sugar has been known to drop very quickly all of a sudden and I need something that works real fast. Then I eat something solid right after that. Let's just say that I have snacks EVERYWHERE! At work, home, in my purse, my two backpacks and some in the car. I've been caught by surprise too many times and had close calls of almost passing out. I'm sure the nutrition gals have some great ideas as well, but this is what has helped me. I don't have a problem unless I get off schedule, then it takes me a while to get my body back into the swing of things.
(deactivated member)
on 9/29/07 8:31 am - San Antonio, TX
I just noticed your post here (hi PJ)  I've been reading up a lot on reactive hypoglycemia because I'm interested in some of the long term post-op problems that can creep up.  Apparently the Mayo clinic  is following a bunch of RNY people right now, and also apparently this is going to be a fairly common problem for a lot of people.  Anyway, I read about some of the most severe cases having pancreas biopsies and even surgeries to remove large portions of the pancreas - and it cleared up the problem.  Now that's obviously not a desirable way to go, but I thought if you haven't looked in to it you might be interested.  Microscopically your pancreas may be much different looking than its supposed to be (nesidioblastosis I believe is the term)  Anyway, that's just my two cents on the whole thing. 
D. Carbcounter
on 9/30/07 3:42 am - Homeland, CA
RNY on 02/03/06 with
I was never diabetic pre op but if I went way too many hours without eating my blood sugars would dip and I would feel woozy and shaky and whatnot. At about a year post op I started noticing that if I didn't have enough protein with every meal (ie if I ate just a few bites of apples or something) then about an hour later I would have sudden severe reactions like hot flash, shaking, extreme hunger, confusion, panting and sweating and heart racing.  I bought a blood tester and realized my sugars were dropping to down to the 40's in about an instant.  I have learned on my own that I must must must have protein in my pouch before I have any amount of carbs otherwise I crash and it is no fun. I have to be very careful with carbs of any kind because Jose still doesn't really like them, however I know that my body needs them.  I am going to start introducing more healthy carbs with every single meal instead of going with what is easy and just eating some meat.  haha.  Also I've noticed that since I started getting sick from anemia and whatever is causing it, my hypoglycemia issues are getting worse, regardless of how careful I am. I have kept track of my dumping episodes and have noticed that they are remarkably worse when my hormones change etc. Ugh now I'm babbling. (Surgery results may vary, see dealer for details)

Surgery results may vary, see dealer for details
(WLS is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.)

Most Active