I'm a newbie wondering about a DS

birdiegirl
on 2/21/09 11:25 am
Good - no problem with not agreeing - that is part of life - sometimes the best part!

Actually I had a choice of band/rny or ds - so I know I am very lucky re docs

Barb
mandi2660
on 2/21/09 10:38 pm - Canada
Really?  Thats great...they do DS in Hamilton?
Bruce Jr.
on 2/21/09 11:15 am - Collingwood, Canada
 Hey Ida,

As I noted to Karen I do not think the original poster was meaning that the RNY option is a failure, just that failures happen (as they do with all WLS options). 

Posts like http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ON/3868612/Revision-Surgery/ stoke newbie fear also.
high 47BMI/360lbs, now @ goal since 1.25 years post DS 23.5BMI/187lbs
"Faith is not the answer, it only stops you from asking the questions"- Frater Ravus
Pixie Dusting
on 2/21/09 11:36 am - Vaughan, Canada
Hi Ed,

Wow, I just hope we didn't scare Sam1am off...

Ida Jo

DS Facts
on 2/21/09 11:38 am
haha i know Ida, so true. I feel bad for Sam.

WE LOVE YOU SAM!

Bev
Pixie Dusting
on 2/21/09 11:55 am - Vaughan, Canada
For real Bev, poor thing hasn't responded or commented.

Please Sam come back, you still have so much to learn, and I promise we'll be nice from now on....

Ida Jo

Bruce Jr.
on 2/21/09 6:48 am - Collingwood, Canada
 I think you misread Sam's post.  He is scared of the Failed RNYs as in cases where failure has occured as opposed to the Failed RNY as in the procedure being deemed a failure as a whole similar to WLS types of the past like stomach stapling and earlier abandoned types.

Now my thinking on the other hand.... Not brave enough to go there at this moment.

Just because you have had brilliant success with your procedure does not prove or disprove how overall effective it is.  You are a data point on a bell curve.  Well, you are much more than that but you hopefully know what I mean.
high 47BMI/360lbs, now @ goal since 1.25 years post DS 23.5BMI/187lbs
"Faith is not the answer, it only stops you from asking the questions"- Frater Ravus
Karen M.
on 2/22/09 11:51 pm - Mississauga, Canada
hehehe

Well, I shall wear my "data point on a bell curve" with pride.  Thanks, that actually made me laugh right out loud.  :)

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

nicholivolkoff
on 2/21/09 6:53 am - Canada
Sure the DS is the best. But is it realistic to apply for it, with a 39 bmi?? No.

Don't waste your time and get your hopes up, unless you self pay and have it done without any gov approval needed.

I would research the other, more obtainable options that people ARE getting approval for.

If you have the time and ability to lobby and fight endlessly, good luck!!  I don't.

I would have loved a DS, but my 45 bmi is not severe enough to be considered. Your 39 will surely be denied. I wasted months. Think about this before trying, with ohip, anyway. Others pay themselves, go to Mexico for example and are very happy with the results.  I can't do that, can you???

Go for realistic goals. I wish you the best of luck.  -Michelle.
(deactivated member)
on 2/21/09 6:58 am
My thinking is that maybe perhaps if more people apply for this (if this is what they actually want) Ohip will see that Ontario Physicians are looking at this as a good option for their patients. 
Most Active
Recent Topics