on 2/20/09 10:36 am
Sorry but I have lots of questions:

The facts first:

BMI 39
Sleep Apnea (15)
High Blood Pressure
High Cholesterol
Arthritis (or at least achy joints)
Pretty sure I have Neuropathy (self diagnosed today LOL)
Probably other comorbities (sp) if I really thought more

-Am I likely to be eligible?  (I do realise that I am asking patients, not Doctor's , but from your experience, please just give me an idea).

-I am currently going to Dr. Dent whom I understand does not advocate the DS.  Who else in the Ottawa area could I go to or would my PSP be able to get me in directly (he is extremely intelligent and helpful but as a GP does he have the power)?

-where are these surguries performed?

-are they covered by OHIP?

-I have an appointment in May with Dr. Graber who says I will probably get a surgery booking 6-8 weeks after that, how long would my wait be for a DS (approx)?

-Are all DS open surguries or are they doing them by lap. yet?

I would be grateful for any answers!
mountainmike
on 2/20/09 10:46 am - Mountain, Canada
Bev has a great site that I bet can answer a lot of your questions.  Sorry I can't find the link this minute but I bet she'll answer here.  If you scan the messages for "Bev" you'll see the link in the footer of her her postings.

If Dr. Dent won't make that referral your primary provider might be just fine.  I have a fairly new family doc and she's turned out to be just amazing.  I live now on the outside of a tiny town south of Ottawa where I was not sure how "current" the docs would be.  But she wasn't rattled at all by me, my weight, my surgical journey or any of it.  She'd already sent several people for different types of WLS - - so my bad for pre-imagining the book based on the cover.  All that to say if Dr. Dent is not supportive, your GP might be just great (especially if you help educate him on the topic.)  

Lots of DS people here with great outcomes and I bet you'll get lots of help with yr questions.  Best of luck - I gather from the postings here that getting the DS approval for lower BMI's can be a hassle, so will leave it to others to help U with that.  If U ever want info about RNY I'd be happy to share my surgical experience to date.

Mike
For last year's words belong to last year's language.
And next year's words await another voice.
And to make an end is to make a beginning.
T.S. Eliot  
Bruce Jr.
on 2/20/09 10:49 am - Collingwood, Canada
 3 months ago you would have had a chance, now unless you are at 50 BMI you will be denied.  The DS is only approved open, another stupid OHIP policy as lap should no longer be considered experimental.  Also Dent is basically the DS antichrist so you're **** out of luck, sorry to be the messenger.  I'd be starting a facebook group to gage support for getting a Class action suit going against OHIP if I were you.
high 47BMI/360lbs, now @ goal since 1.25 years post DS 23.5BMI/187lbs
"Faith is not the answer, it only stops you from asking the questions"- Frater Ravus
(deactivated member)
on 2/20/09 10:54 am
I had my DS done with a BMI of 40.  I went down to 125lbs at about 14 months out but now sit at about 146lbs.  I can tell you that I have had zero complications and feel great.   I did struggle in the beginning with eating and keeping my weight up but now it is a breeze.  I am loving my DS!!

I think you should ask for a DS.  You as a tax payer have a right to the surgery of your choice!!

Kelly
sam1am
on 2/20/09 11:09 am
Wow, so it is possible to get a DS lapriscopically (sp), but only open is paid for by OHIP?

Unfortunately I've been on a "last supper" roll lately, so I wouldn't be surprised if I was at 40 BMI (I'm really not trying to be).  Would my comorbities not justify it at my BMI?
(deactivated member)
on 2/20/09 11:13 am
Well if you can afford self pay for a Lap Ds then I say go for it.   Have you looked at the VSG?  I really think that would have been a super option for me and would have probably gone with that had it been a choice for me.  
Dyana
on 2/20/09 8:59 pm - Belleville, Ontario, Canada
I don't think I've heard of anyone on this site thats been approved for the DS with an under 50 BMI since I've been here (October) regardless of comorbidities. And some of those  have been close to 50 but that where OHIP draws the line.

If you can self pay, you can have whatever you want. DS laproscopically.

Don't Dream It , Be It!!!
Consult: Nov 11,08 *** OOC forms sent: Nov 23, 08 ***Denied: Dec 31,08
Reapplied: January 22, 09 *** Approved: Feb 03, 09 *** Surgery: Apr 21, 09
Start weight 260 - Pre-op weight 239 - Current weight 175.3
kitkat24
on 2/26/09 5:52 am
I had the Duodenal Switch on 1/20/09 open with Dr. Buchwald at the University of Minnesota.  I am 5'6, I weighed 273 and was approved immediately for the DS with a BMI of 42ish.  HealthPartners in Minnesota has the DS on an approved list of surgeries.  So, once you complete everything, the choice of surgery is yours.  I am blessed.

Body by God; alterations by Buchwald.  I love Jesus.  I so so so appreciate my DS.

Dyana
on 2/26/09 11:01 am, edited 2/26/09 11:02 am - Belleville, Ontario, Canada
Are you speaking of OHIP approval? As I understand it, you are from Minnesota? I am sure there are various insurance companies in the US that are approving it but  in the province of Ontario, I  haven't heard of any in the past couple of months with under 50 BMI's. As this is the Ontario forum, thats been the discussion here as of late. yes you are blessed that your insurance covered it.

Don't Dream It , Be It!!!
Consult: Nov 11,08 *** OOC forms sent: Nov 23, 08 ***Denied: Dec 31,08
Reapplied: January 22, 09 *** Approved: Feb 03, 09 *** Surgery: Apr 21, 09
Start weight 260 - Pre-op weight 239 - Current weight 175.3
Jennie M.
on 2/20/09 9:17 pm - Ottawa, Canada
Yep - I agree with the previous posters. With a BMI of <50, there's no way OHIP will pay however you can (a) apply and choose to appeal & fight; (b) self-pay and have it done by the doctor of your choice and by lap if you wish (there is a woman in Ottawa who did do this - I'm sorry - my coffee hasn't kicked in and I forget her name); or (c) look at possibly the VSG which OHIP might cover (I'm not sure if a low end BMI has been set for this yet).

The VSG is the stomach portion of the DS (albeit smaller than the DS as this is a restrictive surgery with no malabsorption).

I don't know other docs who are WLS friendly per se - I see a doc at the Bariatric Medical Institute in Ottawa and I had to do their program for 6 mths before they mentioned WLS to me. I believe it's because Dr. F wants to work on weight loss "the old fashioned way" before recommending WLS (using a nutritionist, exercise classes and such).

Urban Poling Instructor, 5K runner & soon to be CanFit Pro Personal Trainer
HW339/Lowest Wt 175/CW210/GW175  Plastics done (TT & BR) 8/31/10

Most Active
Recent Topics