Kind of long - can you shrink your pouch again

nan41
on 5/27/10 2:48 am - Canada
Hi

It has been awhile since I have been on here and have been doing bad.  I know it, I have only lost 50 pounds and it is going on 2 years.  I know the problem and it is me.  I never dump, so I can eat anything, and I know I eat the wrong things.  I am really trying to focus more and more.  I know I am the only one who can do this, but it seams so hard to get back on track.

I am pretty sure I have made my pouch bigger, but I do not know if it can go back down, or will it stay big.  I know it is more of a head thing for me, because I am full after eating an apple but I will keep eating bad things (chips, cookies, donuts) even though I am not hungry. 

I tried to see a shrink but he kept asking me about my depression and it is like I am not depressed I love my job and my son, everything else seams to be ok in my life but I am addicted to food, the bad kinds.

I sometime wish I was back in the States in the hospital to have it done over again and wished I did not try that first chip, and then found out nothing happened, then I kept going.  I kept waiting for dump and really wanted to dump, because I knew then that might stop me.  But I am one of the ones that does not.  I always knew this was going to be my problem, as junk food was what was my problem before.

I have been reading the book "The Expert's Guide to Weight-Loss Surgery" by Dre Garth Davis from Big Medicine and really wish I would have read it before the surgery, as it, at least I find very helpful.  He also explains that you have to try and get this food addition under control. 

I am not sure where to go or turn for help.  I thought this would be easy and the weight would just melt off.  The other problem is I am diabetic, so everything I eat, Carb wise, I have to take insulin for.  And of course I am eating the wrong things to begin with.

I just do not know when I will wake up and have one of those Oh I get it moments, because if I do not get that wake up call soon, I am afraid it will be to late to lose the weight.

Just rambling on, but if you know the answer to the question, can we re-shrink our pouch and how, that might help.

Thanks
Nancy
coconut01
on 5/27/10 3:15 am - Canada
I am sorry you are having such a hard time.  It sounds like you are eating for some reason, could be something as simple as boardom.  I know for me eating whenI was upset was abig thing.  I have/had depression, I am finally on some great meds and i am doing really well.   I think you may need some professional support, either a councelor or a dr.  you need to talk to someone and see how they view it.  Just pushing depression on the subject is not good enough, they need to look into the how, what and why of it.  Can you ask your family dr for another shrink, if you don't agree with the one you are with, keep looking:)
HW- 269.5   SW-255  CW- 128.5   Goal - 130  Lost so far ( including optifast) - 141
Started optifast 15/02/10
Gastric ByPass 01/03/10

nan41
on 5/27/10 11:05 am - Canada

Thank you for your reply, and yes I think alot of it has to do with boredom, but not all, cause when I am at work and very busy, I still want to eat the wrong things.  I have left that shrink, because he was not helping me and I knew it almost right away.  I am going to ask my doctor for someone else, just not sure how long it will take.

You are right I and trying to look at how and what and why, and this is what I need from the professional.

Thanks for your reply

Nancy

Bonnie ABC
on 5/27/10 3:16 am - Smiths Falls, Canada
RNY on 09/16/08 with
You can do this.   I know you can.   You need to find someone with a food addiction background, not just anyone.  Have you been to your followups with Graber?  That should help too.  Quite a few people have to give it a second go, but they do have to want it, and be willing to do anything to get there.  Are you ready?

Bonnie

I can do hard things, life is teaching me that I can.
             Lost 222lbs with rny, 20 lbs regain.

Plastics, July 2010 with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey, Mexico
nan41
on 5/27/10 11:14 am - Canada
Bonnie

Thank  you for your support, I know that I need to find someone with a food addiction background, I have always know this since I figured out I am having problems, just it is to get my Doctor to find the right person.  I did go to followups for the first 6 months but then I need a passport and have not got one for me, plus I have Dr. Dent to follow me up here.  Dr. Graber has release me into Dr. Dents care because we knew we would not be going back to the States, which Dr. Graber said was ok.

I know in my heart I want it, have always wanted it, but I also know there is something within myself that is stopping me, from doing it, I know I am finally seeing this, and I am hoping that now that I see this I will finally figure it out.  I think I am ready. 

Thank you for your reply.

Nancy
momtothree
on 5/27/10 9:48 pm - Canada
I would think Dr. Dent would be able to refer you to someone with an eating disorder background.   If he can't, get on the phone and call every psychologist in the city until you find one.   Be proactive - if you want this, you can make it happen.  
 HW/285  SW/261.6  CW/177.0  GOAL 155

nan41
on 5/28/10 5:47 am - Canada
I am going to talk to Dr. Dent when I see him in 2 weeks,  He knew I was going to see this other Shrink and said we will wait and see if he can help if not he has someone he can refer me to so I am going to talk to him abou it when I see him.  I do want it and everyday I am more an more sure of it.

Thank you for your reply

Nancy
Christy_S
on 5/27/10 3:22 am - Vancouver, Canada
Hi Nancy,

I am pre-op and I'm sure there will be others with much more experience who will contribute Have you tried this? http://www.5daypouchtest.com/  I've heard it mentioned before. I have been seeing a therapist who specializes in eating disordered patients and I highly recommend it. A book that's just come out is Geneen Roth's "Women, Food and God" which is a great resources as well.

You can certainly gain control back if you want to. Do you really want to? It'll mean dealing with whatever is making you eat. Food is your drug of choice, so it's not really about the pouch, it's about how you're dealing with emotional issues.

I think lots of people struggle, so you're not alone. I'm working on this now before I have surgery, anticipating the challenge.

Good luck!!

Christy

Joyce J.
on 5/27/10 5:00 am - Scarborough, Canada
Hi Christy

The 5 day pouch test is just like putting a bandaid on the problem. Yes your pouch will shrink because you are not putting much in it, but like any crash diet you go back to bad habits unfortunately.
Sorry I don't mean to be negative, but I have tried it a few times and yes it does work but the effect does not last once you start over filling the pouch again

Take care

Joyce----Today is the first day of the rest of your life

nan41
on 5/28/10 5:53 am - Canada
Hi

Thank you for your response.  I have that book on order, I am reading everything I can get my hands on to help me stop this eating.  I am trying and one thing I know I should have never done and even thought I am having this problem now.  I give you this advise, do not try that one thing that you are missing.  I know if I never would have tried that first chip I would have been fine, because the first 7 months I did great, but as soon as I went back to the carb and the bad ones, it took over. 

Good luck to you with the surgery,  Even though I am having this problem, I would never had not had the surgery, because it has help alot in other ways.

Thanks again for your reply

Nancy
Most Active
Recent Topics