Cross border grocery shopping

NervousNelly57
on 3/26/11 9:56 pm - Guelph, Canada
I'm thinking of making a trip to the Niagara Falls/Buffalo area in the next few weeks. My main destination is Jo-Ann's on Niagara Falls Blvd (Amherst).

I haven't been there for 10 years, so would anyone have any suggestions for which nearby grocery or department stores would be the best to visit to stock up on some sugar-free products we can't get here?

Also, is it possible to get coupons here that can be used in US grocery stores?

Thanks!

Sharon B

samtq
on 3/26/11 11:50 pm - Ottawa, Canada
 I am not sure about the stores but here's a list of things to look for:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/on/4347574/OT-US-products/ #35909924
“The miracle isn’t that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.? --John “the Penguin? Bingham 
There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living. ~ Nelson Mandela

HW: 247.5/SW: 228.5/CW:135/ My GW: 140/SGW: 151
ericaFG
on 3/27/11 1:06 am - Cambridge, Canada
You can use coupons you get online at US grocery stores.  Just google it.

The big NY grocery stores are TOPS, Wegmans, Walmart and some Targets.  I find Walmart the cheapest, but Wegmans and TOPS have better variety, especially with SF products.

TOPS and Wegmans are on Niagara Falls BLVD...in Niagara Falls and in Amherst.  There is a brand new Walmart superstore right beside the Military Road outlet mall just off Niagara Falls BLVD near Porter/Packard.  

Check out the sale flyers online before you go and make a list - sometimes the grocery stores have sales that make things cheaper than Walmart.  For instance, I got the Cocoa Roast Almonds (my fav) on a two for one deal at TOPS ($5.99), which was a better deal than getting them cheaper at Walmart (where they are $4.99 each but not on sale).
Proud Member of the Cambridge Crew!    
HW293/LW147/CW158   Height 5'9"  Working on Maintenance!
Fleur de lis TT and Brachioplasty - Oct. 19, 2010 Breast reduction and scar revision August 2, 2011

me_and_da_boyz
on 3/27/11 4:01 am - Canada
There is a Target just across the streeet from that Joann's (big plaza on left right before the Jo-anns... sooooo jealous, i love that Jo-anns.. I might just have to take a trip now that you have my mind on it :)
They were just renovating the food section to make it bigger when i was there in Feb
3135 Niagara Falls Blvd - Just up on the left is a Wegmans (joann's is 1551 Niagara FAlls Blvd)
There's also a Lane Bryant there that seems to have awesome sales (usually 40% off) - they start at size 14
Yep, def think i'm going shopping in the next few weeks!!!

Heather

StevesGal
on 3/27/11 5:04 am - Hamilton, Canada

Here's another link to things to buy "over there".

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ON/4351321/Im-going-to-buffalo/#3 5941190

Have a nice trip, and tell us what bargains you got!!

Beth

Former RNY patient revising to Sleeve then DS.
Appts: Dietitian - January 21/19; July 16/19, August 13/19, September 17/19, October 15/19; Social Worker: August 23/19; DS Orientation: March 20/19; Internist: September 30/19; Surgeon: November 13/19 (signed consent).
Surgery Date: February 28/20.

MY RNY DIDN'T FAIL ME - I FAILED IT.

NervousNelly57
on 3/27/11 5:45 am - Guelph, Canada
Thank you everyone!  There were some great links to older threads (how did I miss those?) and I've got a long list started now.

I'll let you all know how things go.

Sharon B

SandpaperSandy
on 3/27/11 6:57 am - Kitchener, Canada
some may find this hard to believe, but I have never been shopping cross the boarder.

how does it work, do you pay duty or is food exempt?
lexxiblue
on 3/27/11 8:18 am
RNY on 01/11/12
living in hamilton i seem to go across almost every other weekend and ... luckily haven't paid duty in a long long time.  i find if you're honest... it really does pay off!  they don't bother you! mind you i go across early in the day to beat the border crowds and cross at rainbow bridge.  lewiston bridge seems to attract a lot of toronto people (so the niagara people tell me).  if you're only across for the day .. stay away from liquor, alcholol & tobacco and they don't bother you.  don't bring back plants and fresh veggies either!  i've come back with $2-$300 and they don't bother me.. and today in fact altho was only across for a couple of hours came back with $150 and they didn't say a thing!  most groceries are exempt and they don't even look at your bills! it's awesome the difference in foods over there and it's so close to home!  target on niagara falls blvd in n.f. just opened a new grocery section... was amazing!!  got some awesome deals .. and i find even food at wal mart can sometimes be cheaper than tops! or wegmans! but again it can be a "hit n miss".  i find their flyers online.. and do comparison shopping.  target has an awesome site where you can print coupons.. and sometimes wal mart too!  good luck & have fun!
Diminishing Dawn
on 3/27/11 8:25 am - Windsor, Canada
So true (about being honest). Border guards can also be your worst night mare if you lie. It is NEVER worth it to lie.

Last week we went to Ikea and bought $350 worth of stuff. didn't get pulled over.

Turn off the radio and take off the sun glasses too.

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Kiley39
on 3/27/11 1:36 pm - Port Colborne, Canada
I live in Niagara and definately prefer Queenston lewiston (less tourists).  The Wegmans on Niagara Falls BLVD is awesome and has a really cool Kohl's in the same complex
1st referal sent  April 15, 2010  ( it was lost)                 Internist August 11, 2011
2nd referal sent October 24, 2010                               Surgeon meeting Aug18, 2011
info session at St. Joes in Hamilton March 21, 2011   Surgery class Sept 1, 2011
Nurse, dietician, SW appointments June 22, 2011      Pre op October 5,2011
Scope July 15, 2011                                                   Surgery October 12, 2011

Most Active
Recent Topics