talk about putting me at ease...! Surgeons Appt

mamaty
on 4/3/11 11:15 pm
Good Morning All!

So I went to Humber on Friday to meet with my surgeon Dr. Smith and I have to say it was a great appointment!

I have been so nervous this entire time, expecting to hear that I just needed to follow the same old diet plans and everything will work out on its own. However, one of the first things he said to me was that with a BMI over 40 diet and exercise wont work for me. (because in 5 years most people will gain it back.) He said that WLS was my best option..He then asked me if i knew about the surgery, if I had any questions. He then handed me his card and said that after I finished my appts with the Dietitian and SW and had the go ahead to call his office and his receptionist would give me two dates. The first would be my pre surgery, where I would meet with the doctor of internal medicine etc. then pick up my optifast. and my second date would be my surgery! So very excited! ....i forgot to ask if the dietitian and social worker would let me know at my apts if I was good to go or if i have to wait for a phone call...if you know tell me please :)

The best part of this appt was that I brought my "sort of supportive" father with me. I wasn't going to bring him in with me but last minute changed my mind and told him to join us. I have to say that it was a great choice to have him come in because he said the doctor cleared up any questions he had about the WLS  and why I was a good candidate in the first 5 minutes. Now I have his total support, which is great because he is also my boss and it is handy to have the support.

Ahhh....Sorry if it was long but I felt like standing on a mountain and shouting that out haha...but i thought I would just put it on here instead..

Have a great Monday.

Erin

mamaty
on 4/3/11 11:55 pm

Sorry forgot to mention that he said that excercise is key (no doubt) and if I can get into a routine of walking for an hour at least a few times a week and work up to everyday that it will help me dramatically as well if I can lose say 10-15 lbs before I go on optifast I just make his job easier.

flyingwoman
on 4/4/11 12:13 am
Congrats on getting started! I had my surgery in Dec at HRRH with Dr Sohi.

You might want to call Dr. Glazier's office (internist) now and try and book an appointment for around (but after) the SW and NUT's appointment... that will help you move along faster.

Good on you, for your positive attitude... every pound you lose before surgery will help you have a safer surgery and also get you to goal faster!
mamaty
on 4/4/11 12:21 am
Ahh so I have to book the apt with the internist. Thank you for letting me know i for some reason thought that it was part of one pre surgery apt haha. Is there any other apts I should be making, like a seperate nurses apt or...

Thanks for the info :)

OKNEE FE + 3
on 4/4/11 1:37 am, edited 4/4/11 1:38 am
Although Dr. Smith uses the Bariatric Clinic at Humber I believe your surgery is at Toronto St. Joe's if that's the case the internest you see will be at St. Joe's as well.  You may want to check that out with Dr. Smith

ETA congrats on your positive experience!  Your on your way to your new healthier life

Oknee's just gotta dance
Weight at the start of Optifast 378 T-1 OR Weight 352
Broke the 300 pound Barrier 13-Dec-2009 291.2lbs 01-APR-11 "onederland"
HGBA1C 5.2  d/c from the care of  my Endocrinolgist 09-JUL-10 "diabetes resolved"
10-MAR-11 Extreme Sleep Apnea (dx 2007) resolved-"b-bye CPAP won't miss ya"

HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT IRON AND/OR http://theironmaiden.ca/                

flyingwoman
on 4/4/11 10:35 am
 Not that I know of... the surgeon's office will make you a PATTs appointment.

If your surgery is at a different hospital like OKNEE says, then you may have a different process.

Starting BMI 69 w comorbidities | 55 of the weight lost above was pre-op.    
sam1am
on 4/4/11 2:35 am
CONGRATULATIONS!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

tera P.
on 4/11/11 1:19 am - Picton, Canada
That's Great I have Dr. Smith also , I thought he was great .
I met with him on March 18th and I called on the following week and was given my surgery date and pre op appointment , I was very excited ! So my surgery is on June 20th nad  I will be on optifast for 3 weeks .
I agree he was great at putting my mind at ease with all teh information .

referral: October 2010, Orientation: Feb 14, Surgeon: March 18
SW, bypass class,dietician:April 29, pre op / surgeon May24 Surgery JUNE 20

mamaty
on 4/12/11 10:29 pm
He seems great! I went to my SW/NUT appointments the other day and they said everything was great so when I went home and called his office and they gave me a surgery date of Aug 15th and a tentative pre op appointment of July 26th..I cant wait! haha

Most Active
Recent Topics