Cheese Question

mamaty
on 4/12/11 11:44 pm
So when I met with the dietitian the other day I asked her about cheeses and what ones I could eat.. she said anything with 15% M.F or less...Here's my problem..I was looking around the No Frills in Napanee and the lowest I could find was the Presidents Choice Blue Menu cheese and it was 19% M.F..is this the norm? Does anyone have any brand recommendations?

I shop in both Kingston and Belleville sometimes so if you know of a store that specifically carries cheese that meet these standards let me know..

Side Note - I looked at the labels on cottage cheese, Nordica no fat cottage cheese had nil for protein but the blue menu had around 13g of protein. Does anyone use the blue menu kind or is there a reason I should be wary of it.

Thanks
Erin

Leanne1
on 4/12/11 11:56 pm - Newmarket, Canada
I eat any cheese! no name, but mostly cracker barrel (mild, medium, old... it doesn't matter to me)! nom nom nom!!

I also eat 2% nordica cottage cheese.
I NEVER have any issues with any of it

hope this helps

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

Marny B.
on 4/13/11 12:04 am - Canada
I wouldn't worry about the mik fat % at this point.  Sounds like you are pretty new to the bench, and are in the rapid weightloss stage.  A few %s won't make much of a difference, if any at all.  That being said, I wouldn't make cheese  a breakfast, lunch, and dinner thing :P  I have it once a day and I have lost weight consistently over the past 4 months.  

As per as the cottage cheese, I checked out the nutritional info online.  Are you sure you read the info properly on the Nordica container, because everything I can find says it has 14g of protein per half cup, just like the PC.  Overall, the PC has 10 more calories, 1 more gram of fat, and 1 extra carb, as compared to the Nordica.  It's a pretty even swap.  Choose the cheaper one :) 

Referral Sent:  March 19, 2010
Surgery date with Dr. Denis Hong: December 9, 2010

mamaty
on 4/13/11 12:20 am
Thanks!

Im still pre-op (surgery is Aug 15) Just starting to wrap my head around the day to day of protein and such.

Take Care

Erin

(deactivated member)
on 4/13/11 1:30 am
I'm 7 months out and I eat any cheese. The amount that is used in a day doesn't make it too much. I'll add some shredded cheese on my wrap or salad or have the odd cheese and crackers at night but not often. Just having the taste in shredded cheese is enough.
Denise H.
on 4/13/11 1:51 am - Newmarket, Canada
Costco has a low fat high protein cheese. Its called Allegro, i think.  I also eat Tre Stelle low fat ricotta cheese.
Denise

sueberman
on 4/13/11 2:24 am
the dietician at Humber recommended Allegro but I don't like the taste on it's own.  I was eating it rolled in a slice of meat but I've moved on to other cheeses.
Sue in Courtice
My angel is Ashleighsmom 

Gabygee
on 4/13/11 2:33 am - Canada
Actually, if all you're looking at is the Allegro "Cheddar" you may be disappointed in the flavour, but Allegro actually produces many low-fat cheeses, and some are very interesting indeed - have a look. http://www.myallegro.ca/discover-our-cheeses 

Lisa_Toronto
on 4/13/11 4:07 am - Toronto, Canada
I only use lowfat cheese when I'm putting it in something like a casserole.  If I'm eating a piece of cheese, I go full fat for the taste.

As eggface the blogger says, we're eating so little, it may as well taste good!

I noticed that she doesn't worry about fat, but is fanatical about carbs - no empty carbs at all.

weight loss includes 25 lbs before optifast         
LouiseF
on 4/13/11 6:09 am
I eat lots of full fat cheese. My wt loss is great as are my labs. There is a lot of bad science re fats and diet: so I stick to first principles- eat real food. I get my Fats from real food- butter, eggs, cheese, olive oil, milk are what are bodies can cope with. Fake fats - margarine etc are not so good for us.
Most Active
Recent Topics