Hunger before and after surgery??

bogie
on 4/19/11 2:12 am - Canada
 For all of you out there that are post op I have a question. I see many posts from people saying that they are hungry during the fluid,full fluid,pureed stages etc. postop and even on the regular food stage. Is the hunger like it is before surgery. I don't know about you but 2 hrs after a huge supper I am hungry (I am not talking head hunger here). I am hoping and praying that this changes after surgery. Please tell me it does!!
J_J
on 4/19/11 2:15 am - Barrie, Canada
Did for me...I haven't felt hunger since my surgery (although if I don't eat I do get dizzy). 

My understanding is that feelings of hunger can come back...but so far mine hasn't.

bogie
on 4/19/11 2:24 am - Canada
 Thanks for the reply JJ. So do you enjoy food or is more of a chore. I can't imagine enjoying food if I am not hungry. Mind you I would give it up in a heartbeat for permanent weightloss. And congrats on your awesome weightloss results. BTW I think we will have the same surgeon when I finally get a date ;-)
J_J
on 4/19/11 2:34 am - Barrie, Canada
Yes I do enjoy food...just so much less of it...I usually eat about 1/2 of a "normal" low calorie serving --- about 1/3 to 1/4 of a "normal" serving.  As for restaurants...my sister (who also had the surgery) and I usually share a meal and we still end up taking home enough for at least two more meals each!

I did notice we would have the same surgeon.  He's not very sociable...but he does great work.  I've had no issues at all...and have healed great. 

Good luck to you...let us know when you get your date!!

SandpaperSandy
on 4/19/11 2:18 am - Kitchener, Canada
when you focus on eating protein, the hunger should not come back so quickly.

I think there was only 1 time in 2 months that I said - I am hungry and I realized I did not get in enough protein.

bogie
on 4/19/11 2:26 am - Canada
 Thanks Sandy. So if you aren't  hungry is eating enjoyable at all? 
ToNewBeginnings
on 4/19/11 2:21 am
For me after surgery the hunger changed. Flip past the weeks of fluid and puree and the hunger was gone. I'm not sure I was hungry on the liquid diet either I was just getting really sick of it.
The ravenous cravings, the sometimes binging like a crazy person, the constantly thinking about food..... bye bye bye!!!!!!!!...BYE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It is like a dream. I do feel hunger now that I am exercising at the gym 3 or more times a week but I believe that to be real hunger, and once I eat sensibly I'm fine.
bogie
on 4/19/11 2:27 am - Canada
 Thanks for your reply this is so encouraging!!! I can't wait to not feel hungry all the time ;-(
Karen M.
on 4/19/11 2:35 am - Mississauga, Canada
I can honestly say that I didn't feel hunger at all until 4.5 years out.  Even now, it's more of an empty feeling than hunger - at least the kind of hunger pangs I felt pre-op.  I truly love and enjoy good food - I know I have to eat, so it might as well be something wonderful that I will enjoy, even if the portion is small and I'm not "hungry" in the traditional sense.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Leanne1
on 4/19/11 2:37 am - Newmarket, Canada
My hunger has changed since surgery. I don't have that "Omg, I'm starving" feeling anymore. I eat every 2-3 hrs. B,S,L,S,D,S. I eat alot of protein (anywhere between 80-120+g per day).

I still really enjoy eating, the difference now tho, is that I am eating healthier and much smaller portions. I also weigh and measure most things that I eat. 

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

Most Active
Recent Topics