Depression - Long time no talk

Arttina
on 5/11/11 5:17 am - Belleville, Canada
RNY on 03/23/10 with
Hi everyone. I know it's been a long time since I've posted on here. I've just gotten so far away from the support end of things of my surgery that I'm starting to regret it. I actually miss my "family" and have started the process of eliminating a few things in my life to be able to get more involved again. I tend to do too many things with my dogs who are sport dogs and it just combines with my three jobs and then I have no time whatsoever!

It's been about 14 months and I've lost 130lbs. When I look at my old photos I practically fall off the chair with the difference. Mentally I'm still dealing with the changes and emotionally as well. I've started therapy to work with my old eating habits that have creeped back into my world as predicted as well.

The most negative issue I'm having right now is exhaustion. It's not just tiredness but exhaustion. I've posted before on this and have posted about it on facebook too but have yet to get any answers. So far the closest that seems to make sense is that it's part of the depression I've always suffered from and my dosage of Effexsor isn't taking care of the problem anymore. I take a low dosage to keep me on track of 75mg and I'm thinking maybe I ought to attempt to take a higher dosage.

My question for the group is I'm wondering what everyone else takes for depression when they've had the RNY? What seems to work and what dosage are you taking? I need to get this under control before I fall off track completely. I'm still working out regularly and walking with the dogs daily but I'd like to do more but I cannot bring myself to do it without dragging myself around. I'm so sleepy!!!

My blood levels were perfect when they were checked last month on my one year check up so it's not iron or B12 or anything else. Ugh. Can anyone suggest anything?
Taking my life back ... One step at a time because great feats are
completed not by strength, but by perseverance.

Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, let go of what you can't change.

Leslie W.
on 5/11/11 5:23 am - Cobourg, Canada
I take Effexor as well. 75 mg is not a huge dose. It does have minimal side effects and if has worked for you you may just need the dose upped a little. I would certainly speak with your DOC about this. Your body has gone thru many changes and the exhaustion can be a big part od depression. I tensa to sneak up on you. I too had a very busy life style multile jobs etc... I had to take a step back and make time for myself and take a deep breath.

I'm sure you will find lots of support here.

Good luck and hope you feel better. Leslie

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Joyce J.
on 5/11/11 5:23 am - Scarborough, Canada
Hi Tina

Nice to see you posting. Sorry to hear about the exhaustion. I know what that's like, it just drains you
Is the Effexor a timed release drug? If so that might be part of the problem as we don't absorb them as we would have prior to surgery.
Personally, now everyone is different, but I take Prozac(the generic actually which is Fluoxetine) and Lithium. I also have a thyroid problem so take something for that.
I find if I take these three things religiously I am good, but if I don't take them then I have many issues, exhaustion, panic attacks, tears LOL

I hope you get to the route of the problem
Keep posting
Take care

Joyce----Today is the first day of the rest of your life

Arttina
on 5/11/11 10:18 am - Belleville, Canada
RNY on 03/23/10 with
Thanks Joyce. Actually I'm not sure if it's time released or not. I should ask. I have an appointment with my family doc on June 10 and I'm hoping she'll be able to let me know. I have done prozac before and it just about killed me with side effects. I was a basket case. I tend to get anxiety from most anti depressants which is strange. I get twittery and on edge. Totally opposite! lol I'll find out from her if there is a time release one. Maybe that will help. Thanks for responding! Long time no see! Hope you'll make it to Linda's on the weekend. I'm going.

debralight
on 5/11/11 5:32 am - Canada
One thing that really sucks about depression is that our body chemistries are ask so different that what works for me may not work for you...having been on effexor your dose sounds low....i urge you to talk to your doc before messing with the dose though...he may suggest something else.

If you want to pm I'd happily discuss what I've tried
Arttina
on 5/11/11 10:20 am - Belleville, Canada
RNY on 03/23/10 with
Thanks! I'd love to hear from you if you think you have something to offer. Like I mentioned to Joyce I have an appointment with my family doc June 10. I think I'll ask her about it. I've been mulling it over in my head about getting it upped. At least I know it used to work for me so obviously change is needed.

allmylife4
on 5/11/11 9:22 am - Canada
RNY on 03/16/12
I haven't had the surgery yet, but I used to take effexor until about 1 mth ago. You can go up to 300 mg anything higher has been proven not to be effective. I was at 300mg myself and the dr changed it to a sister medication. I may need to have it changed again once I have the surgery. I would highly recommend that you see your family physician, I notice that when the dosage of my medication is not effective anymore I too am exhausted and have no energy whatsoever.

Julie    
teacherof4
on 5/11/11 10:14 am
I take 300 mg of Effexor per day. I have been taking this for sometime -- I do expect it will change some after surgery. I highly recommend you talk to your dr about your issues and ask about trying a higher dose.
June 14, 2011 - Surgery date                
Arttina
on 5/11/11 10:15 am - Belleville, Canada
RNY on 03/23/10 with
Wow, my ticker is a bit off! lol

Karlalala
on 5/11/11 10:51 am - London, Canada
I am certainly glad to see you posting again! 

I don't have any great words of advice for you because I do not deal with the same issues that you do however, I just want to say that I am sorry you are struggling.  Please know that you will be able to get things back in order.You WILL figure this out!

Hang in there!  Xoxo

Karla  - Stayin positive and moving forward!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics