ULCERS

scaredskinny123
on 5/13/11 1:07 am - Stirling, Canada
Has anyone else out there encountered ulcers as a result of the surgery?  My niece who had RYN on March 1/11 as been in the hospital since one week prior to Easter and has had a scope to be told she has a bleeding ulcer.  It was repaired under surgery on Easter Sunday and still has not been able to eat or drink since. . . . She has just been sent home on Wednesday with a feeding tube down her nose into the stomach to allow the ulcer to heal but neither the nurse nor the doctors could get any food into it??????  Yesterday, she had the tube removed then replaced and hopefully is okay to get food into her.  She has been told she will have to keep the tube for about 4-6 weeks. 
what a go of it she's had but is being strong and says it is still worth it down the road. 
any comments?

Joyce J.
on 5/13/11 1:54 am - Scarborough, Canada
Hi there

I haven't heard of anyone with ulcers afterwards but it is certainly possible. That is one of the reasons they say no NSAIDS or at least no NSAIDS without an acid reducer.
In your niece's case I wonder if she had that ulcer prior to her RNY
The feeding tube would have to go into her pouch that they gave her in surgery for RNY, the stomach does not hold the food
She should check with the RNY surgeon, but I don't think this is related to her surgery, I think it was just detected after her surgery
Hope she is feeling better real soon, keep us posted
Is your niece someone who posts on here?

Joyce----Today is the first day of the rest of your life

scaredskinny123
on 5/13/11 3:17 am - Stirling, Canada
No my niece doesn't post on the website...and no she did not have ulcers prior to surgery.  It was finally her surgeon that did the bypass surgery who stated the ulcers were related to the bypass and suggested the feeding tube!  Both the nurse from the bairatric clinic and the nutritionist from Humber College were consulted to assist with the feeding via tube....

Joyce J.
on 5/13/11 4:38 am - Scarborough, Canada
Hi there

Well it seems she is being well cared for, I hope she is better soon
I'm sure you will be a great support for her
Please keep us posted on her progress when you can

Take care

Joyce----Today is the first day of the rest of your life

debralight
on 5/13/11 3:43 am - Canada
Yuck, what a difficult time your niece has had. Who is her surgeon at Humber? I had my surgery there.

My only suggestion is that she follow what the docs and nutritionist tell her and enjoy the numbers on the scale plumetting downwards. Not the ideal way to take the journey. Sounds like they have treatment under control and that time will heal. Which is a good thing. I bet she is glad to get home.
Sometimes the best support  you can get isn't all purple puddles and pink rainbows.

Joanne J.
on 5/13/11 4:54 am - Canada
Hi there, if you don't mind how old is your niece and who did her surgery?il be doing mines at hrrh..never had a ulcer before whats an ulcer and how is that related to the surgery?
scary! on the bright side am sure she will be ok  I've heard good reports from that hospital
good luck!
Monica M.
on 5/13/11 6:00 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
an ulcer is a sore in the lining of your stomach. It's caused by a number of things, like a certain kind of bacteria being present in your stomach, too much acid in your stomach (which can be caused by stress, or certain medications like NSAIDS)

You'll usually have stomach pain. Sometimes these ulcers can bleed, which can lead to anemia. If they are bleeding, it's quite seriuos.

How it's related to the surgery is that your stomach is so much smaller now, that there's more chances for it to be damaged. That's why we can't take NSAIDS (which are medications like aspirin and ibuprofen, to name just a couple).

Joanne J.
on 5/13/11 10:44 am - Canada
oh wow did you have any ulcers? thanks for explaining i wonder since i have acid reflux if it would make it worse when i have surgery alot for me to think about i need to do some more reasearch..how common is this ?i dont take any of these meds ..is there treatment for it if you have it and can it get beter?

joan x
Monica M.
on 5/13/11 11:48 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
Hey Joanne. I haven't had an ulcer. If you have acid reflux, you may have what's called a hiatus hernia. I had one, and didn't know it. My surgeon fixed it at the same time as my RNY.

Treatment for an ulcer is an acid reducing medication, or sometimes a course of antibiotics.

drgnflysmith
on 5/13/11 7:57 am
Hi there,
Funny you should ask this question.... I was just released from hospital today for a bleeding ulcer as a result of my RNY. I have been in and out of hospital for this since about 3 weeks out from my surgery Feb.17,2011, including having to have 2 IV'S 24/7 at home, and having to have nurses come in to help me out. My ulcer is at the connection of the pouch and the small intestines and in the small intestines.  The surgeon explained it quite nicely, the portion of small intestines that is connected to the pouch has never been exposed to stomach acid before (maybe a small amount of very diluted acid, but never to this concentration of acid) so it is not uncommon for ulcers to develope.  I too was not able to eat or drink as this caused horrid stomach pain, and I was vomiting blood.  The course of action for my ulcer was similar to allow the healing, and same as your niece I too have had quite a go of it, but still think it was absolutely worth it!! This will heal, I will get stronger, I will be better,  and I will be healthy and have the life I always wanted!!!
Please pass along my warm wishes to your niece for a good and thorough recovery!

Most Active
Recent Topics