Worse fears came true!

lori havers
on 6/2/11 6:45 pm - Canada
Well, It's a week today since my surgery! Dr Reed was unable to perform it laproscopically so I had it open...he did my RNY and repaired a hernia! I've got at least 60 staples and feel sooo sore ! I'm weak beyond weak and don't feel much better a whole week after surgery! The best part is being home though. Every task(showering, going up/down stairs) is a marathon and exhausting..I'm also 5lbs heavier than pre-op. Wishing now that I had never gone through with it!

Thanks for listening!

Lori
Kelshy
on 6/2/11 8:08 pm - Cannifton, Canada
 oh Lori,

I am sorry for your surprise open surgery but right now just concentrate on resting and sipping. The hernia repair is good because it is one less issue to deal with down the road. 
Take care of yourself ... and we are all here for you. 

Chris

Feb 19 2010 Referral to Ottawa         Nov 24 2010 Orientation at TWH
Jan 25 2011 Nurse                               Feb 16 2011 Social Worker
March 10 2011 Psychiatrist                 April 8 2011 Surgeon
Surgery May 9 2011                             Bowel Obstruction/ internal Hernia Feb 13 2013  

mom4life
on 6/2/11 8:11 pm - Port Rowan, Canada
I am sorry that you aren't feeling well.  I don't doubt for a single second that the 5lbs is fluid retention from all that surgery.  As your body heals you will see and feel huge differences.  I do know that Dr. Reed is an incredibly skilled surgeon and that in the end I don't doubt that you will have good results.

Give yourself time, it's only been a week and you did have very major surgery, in fact you had two.  On top of everything else, open surgeries typically take a good 6 weeks to heal.  Those of us that are feeling pretty darned good only one week out had the surgery laproscopically...big difference.

I hope the day comes where you can look back on this healing time as just part of the process and are happy with your choices and the results of this surgery.

Try to keep your chin up, rest and don't push yourself too far too fast, let your body heal.

Just my two cents,
Lori

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning,
  but anyone can start today and make a new ending.? ~Maria Robinson

HW:  292 lbs          SW:  226 lbs        Clinic's GW:  160 lbs          My GW: 145 lbs

Gailupnorth
on 6/2/11 8:32 pm - Huntsville, Canada
 I'm so sorry you are having a hard time.  Things will get better, just give it time.  You will not always regret this decision--this is just an unexpected set back.  Rest, sip, take care of yourself.  Keep us posted.  Gail
 HW: 381, Starting Optifast: 370, SW: 342, GW: 170.  RNY at HRRH 10/20/10.              
Eileen C.
on 6/2/11 9:11 pm, edited 6/2/11 9:11 pm - Cornwall, Canada
Hi Lori

Sorry you had to go thru your surgery as open instead of lap, these things do happen, you will be

feeling  better soon, you have a lot to heal from and each day should get better than the day before.

Fluid retention is a big issue at this time, so soon after surgery, just keep following your dr's orders

and rest and heal. 

The weight will come off surpisingly quickly and you will look back and agree that it was the best thing
that you did for yourself, it may not seem like that at this point but remember you are still healing from

major surgery and your body is in shock.

Take care and sending healing vibes and warm hugs your way.

Eileen
            my angel is Lisa48                                        
AllaP
on 6/2/11 9:34 pm - Vaughan, Canada
 So sorry to hear that. But try to think positive. A few more days and you are gonna be where everybody else is. The"open" part through you back for a week or two. Hope you feel better very soon. Now I am scared. Why he wasn't able to do it laparascopically?
paula-37
on 6/2/11 9:43 pm - brantford, Canada
Hi Lori i am sorry that you had to have your rny done open.just take it easy and do not over do it.you being up in weight from before you had surgey is probably water weight do not be so hard on yourself about being up 5lbs.i  am sendin you hugs and postiive  healing vibes.please get well soon.i hope tha eventually you will change your mind about wishing you never had gon through this.all the the best of luck to you in your weight loss jorueny.take it one day ate a time my dear freind.things will get better.keep us updated on how you are feeling .take care and try to have a good weekend.i hope i have encouraged you in some way.
SINCRELY YOURS YOUR OH FRIEND ALWAYS
PAULA(paula-37)

happypants
on 6/2/11 9:44 pm - Ottawa, Canada
Lori the good news is that you are on the bench!!! Yippee

I know you are in a lot of pain right now but in a week you will look back and it won't seem so bad, trust me.

Our brains don't allow us to remember pain. Yes we remember we were in pain but not the pain itself. Just think back to giving birth to your children, you remember the pain of labour but you cant actually remember how the pain felt. It will get better for you. We are all here for you and before long you will be showing off the "new you".

Sending positive healing vibes your way  

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

Surgery July 22, 2011  Starting weight 270  128 lbs lost  Today's weight 142 lbs                 Ann       

Karen M.
on 6/2/11 10:43 pm - Mississauga, Canada
Having your surgery performed open is not the worst thing that could have happened, let's be honest here.  Your surgeon gave you a life-saving surgery and repaired a hernia in the safest way possible for you.  Take lots of time to rest and heal, take the pain meds, and get well soon.  Welcome to the bench.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Moselle
on 6/2/11 11:27 pm - Athens, Canada

I'm sorry to hear that you are in pain. I wish you a speedy recovery. Take it easy, the open surgery will make it take  a little longer to feel more like yourself but this too shall pass. 

I think that now that you are on the loser's bench, with your hernia repaired once you get over the initial pain from the major surgeries, your opinion will change. As soon as you feel better you will be able to enjoy the same results that you were expecting.

Keep the faith and keep us posted.  Big hugs.  Muriel

"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out." -Robert Collier
Join Kingston Ontario WLS Support Group - Online @ OH 

HW: 267         SW: 248       GW:155       LW: 132      CW: 143-148      

Most Active
Recent Topics